Finding Tangent Points on a Graph Using the Chain Rule

• Thread starter Saterial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the coordinates of points on the graph of a given function where the graph is tangent to the x-axis. The relevant equations are the Chain Rule of Derivatives and setting the derivative equal to zero. The conversation also mentions the need to check for max/min points and verifies the method by plugging in the critical points to the original equation.
Saterial
1) The problem.

Determine the coordinates of the points on the graph of f(x) = (x^3 - 3x^2)^2 at which the graph is tangent to the x-axis.

2) Relevant Equations
Chain Rule of Derivatives ?

3) My attempt.
I used chain rule to get f'(x) = (2)(x^3 - 3x^2)(3x^2 - 6x
I don't know where to go from here what does it mean by the graph is tangent to the x-axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent in this context means touches it at one point but doesn't cross. So if your curve touches the tangent line at one point, but doesn't cross, what type of point would that need to be?

So I would need a vertex of the curve at that point?

In that case would it mean that I need to set the derivative equal to zero and solve for x? Take that x and plug it into the original equation to find y?

yup, first find the critical points, second plug them in and see if y=0.

Tangent to the x-axis means derivative is zero and the function is zero (touchs the x axis). First solve for derivative, when it is zero, then check if among those there is an x at which also f(x)=0.

Oh I almost forgot! Make sure they are max/min not inflection points too.

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the concepts of derivatives and integrals, which are used to calculate rates of change and areas under curves, respectively.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the overall change in a quantity over a given time interval. On the other hand, the instantaneous rate of change is the rate of change at a specific point in time, or the slope of the curve at a specific point.

What are derivatives and how are they used?

Derivatives are mathematical functions that represent the rate of change of a quantity. They are used to calculate instantaneous rates of change, find maximum and minimum values of functions, and solve optimization problems.

What is the relationship between calculus and real-world applications?

Calculus has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze dynamic systems, predict future behavior, and optimize processes.

How can I improve my understanding of calculus and rate of change?

Practice is key to understanding calculus and rate of change. It is important to work through problems, seek help if needed, and review concepts. Additionally, visual aids and real-life examples can also aid in improving understanding.