Finding the Area Under One Arch of a Cycloid: Where to Start?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area under one arch of a cycloid using parametric equations. The person asking the question is unsure of where to start and is considering using an integral expression. The expert advises not to alter the original equations and suggests using the relationships x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ. However, it is clarified that these equations are not in polar coordinates, and the person is advised to look for t values where y=0 to find one arch of the cycloid.
mmont012

Homework Statement

Find the area under one arch of the cycloid
x=a(t-sint), y=a(1-cost)

Where do I start?

I could divide both sides by a and get
x/a= t-sint cost=1-y/a

If this is the case, how should I deal with x/a=t-sint? I need to get them into the form of sint=... or cost=... right?

Physics news on Phys.org
mmont012 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area under one arch of the cycloid
x=a(t-sint), y=a(1-cost)

Where do I start?

I could divide both sides by a and get
x/a= t-sint cost=1-y/a

If this is the case, how should I deal with x/a=t-sint? I need to get them into the form of sint=... or cost=... right?
First, don't panic.

Second, don't do anything to the original parametric equations to make them unsuitable for finding the area under the curve.

Third, how do you find the area under any given curve? What integral expression would you write? What does this integral expression look like after you substitute the parametric expressions for x and y?

(taking deep breaths)...

Can I use the ∫(from α to β) of 1/2 r2?

I also have the relationships: x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ

Since my parametric equation is in terms of t am I able to say x=rcost and y=rsint?

mmont012 said:
(taking deep breaths)...

Can I use the ∫(from α to β) of 1/2 r2?

I also have the relationships: x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ

Since my parametric equation is in terms of t am I able to say x=rcost and y=rsint?

No. Those are parametric equations alright, but they are not polar coordinate equations just because they have sines and cosines. Look at SteamKing's post #2. To help you, you should be able to find a couple of ##t## values where ##y=0##. That should help you find one arch of the cycloid.

1. What is the definition of a parametric curve in calculus?

A parametric curve is a set of equations that describe the position of a point in terms of one or more parameters. These equations typically involve trigonometric functions and can be used to model complex curves and shapes.

2. How is calculus used to analyze parametric curves?

Calculus is used to analyze parametric curves by taking derivatives and integrals of the parametric equations. This allows for the calculation of important properties such as slope, velocity, and area under the curve.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations in calculus?

Parametric equations offer several advantages in calculus, including the ability to describe complex curves and shapes, as well as the ability to analyze motion and change over time. They also allow for more precise calculations and provide a more intuitive understanding of curves and their properties.

4. Can parametric curves be graphed and visualized?

Yes, parametric curves can be graphed and visualized using parametric plotting methods. These graphs often offer a more detailed and accurate representation of the curve compared to traditional Cartesian graphs.

5. How are parametric curves used in real-world applications?

Parametric curves have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze motion, design complex structures, and create realistic animations and simulations.