Can Air Flow 10Lit/Sec in 6.35mm Pipe @ 1Bar?

• Thread starter Suresh Gadekar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Pipes
In summary, it is possible to have a flow rate of 10lit/sec for air in a pipe of diameter 6.35mm (1/4") at a pressure of 1 bar, provided the pressure regulator has an outlet pressure of 1.2bar and the pipe has a port size of 1/4". It's also possible to have a flow rate of 2000 lit/min at a pressure of 2 bar using a pressure regulator with a 1/2" port size.
Suresh Gadekar
Is it possible to have a flow rate of 10lit/sec for air in a pipe of diameter 6.35mm (1/4") at a pressure of 1 bar?
As in this case, the velocity of air nearly equals the velocity of sound.

Engineering news on Phys.org
it needs a pressure of about 1,6 bar

how did you come up with that value (1.6 bar), if you are saying pressure between 1 to 6 bar will it work at pressure of 1.1 bar?

For me it is necessary a pressure of 1.6 bar to create a flow velocity of 10 l/s, that is 1.0 bar is not enough.
If you really want I may try to propose a possible reason of it.

according to you, 1.6 bar is wrong? let me know.

I am not getting it, how exactly 1.6 bar

What do you think about the question ? have you tried to give a your answer?
I'm not so sure; I've only tried to resolve the problem because it seem interesting to me...

Simplify the navier stokes equation so you have a 1D velocity profile. If you leave in the pressure term you can compute the pressure gradient knowing your desired flow speed. Your pipe is small enough where it will be laminar.

First, do you mean 1 barg or 1 bar (as in, atmospheric)?
Second, do you mean 10 L/s at standard conditions (i.e. NL/s), or 10 L/s "actual" air flow (as in 10 L/s of pressurized air)
Third, when you say the pipe is 6.35 mm / .25 in, do you mean it's a 1/4" Sch. 40 pipe (that has an inside diameter of 9.2456 mm)?
Fourth, what's the length of pipe that the air will be traveling through?

Assuming your 10 L/s is FAD, or at normal conditions (not pressurized volume), That is .6 m3/min through a pipe with an ID of 9.2456 mm, which gives a normalized air velocity of ~149 m/s. That's less than half of the speed of sound, but it's still extremely high. Pressure losses for that air velocity are very high, which means that in order to sustain flow, the longer the pipe length, the higher the supply pressure will need to be. At 1 barg, you may be able to get that flow rate through a 2-3 meter long pipe, but you'll need significantly more pressure for longer lengths.

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
Travis_King said:
First, do you mean 1 barg or 1 bar (as in, atmospheric)?
Second, do you mean 10 L/s at standard conditions (i.e. NL/s), or 10 L/s "actual" air flow (as in 10 L/s of pressurized air)
Third, when you say the pipe is 6.35 mm / .25 in, do you mean it's a 1/4" Sch. 40 pipe (that has an inside diameter of 9.2456 mm)?
Fourth, what's the length of pipe that the air will be traveling through?

Assuming your 10 L/s is FAD, or at normal conditions (not pressurized volume), That is .6 m3/min through a pipe with an ID of 9.2456 mm, which gives a normalized air velocity of ~149 m/s. That's less than half of the speed of sound, but it's still extremely high. Pressure losses for that air velocity are very high, which means that in order to sustain flow, the longer the pipe length, the higher the supply pressure will need to be. At 1 barg, you may be able to get that flow rate through a 2-3 meter long pipe, but you'll need significantly more pressure for longer lengths.
1> I mean atmospheric conditions
2>10L/s as in NL/s
3> Inside dia 6.35mm
4>length of pipe is 1.5 meterMy actual setup is such that I have a pressure regulator that will give outlet pressure of 1.2bar and have 1/4" port size (diameter). My requirement is to have 10L/s flow of air
at the outlet of pressure regulator. Manual for that pressure regulator shows following flow characteristics i.e. it can supply flow rate up to 600lit/min. But with these conditions velocity will be close to 300m/s. SO I am confused if this is possible in a practical situation. Pressure regulator specification inlet pressure 5bar outlet pressure 1 bar to 1.5 bar
Capture.JPG

Also many of pressure regulator companies show pressure regulator with port size of 1/4" and flow rate even up to 2000 Lit/min at a pressure of 2 bar, isn't this also a similar situation ?Also I would like to know if similar conditions are possible with 1/2" port size pressure regulator ?

Last edited:

1. Can air flow at a rate of 10Lit/Sec in a 6.35mm pipe?

Yes, air can flow at a rate of 10Lit/Sec in a 6.35mm pipe.

2. What is the pressure required for air to flow at 10Lit/Sec in a 6.35mm pipe?

The pressure required for air to flow at 10Lit/Sec in a 6.35mm pipe is 1 bar.

3. Is a 6.35mm pipe the optimal size for air flow at 10Lit/Sec?

It depends on the specific system and conditions. A 6.35mm pipe can handle air flow at 10Lit/Sec, but there may be more optimal pipe sizes for certain applications.

4. What is the maximum flow rate for a 6.35mm pipe at 1 bar pressure?

The maximum flow rate for a 6.35mm pipe at 1 bar pressure is 10Lit/Sec. This is the maximum flow rate that the pipe can handle under these specific conditions.

5. Will the flow rate of air change if the pressure is increased or decreased?

Yes, the flow rate of air will change if the pressure is increased or decreased. Generally, higher pressure will result in a higher flow rate, and lower pressure will result in a lower flow rate.