Relativity & Higgs Field: Exploring a Connection

In summary, the speaker watched a Stephen Hawking series and was intrigued by the idea that some aspects of relativity, such as the increase in mass with speed, could be explained through interaction with the Higgs Field. However, the speaker was then directed to a FAQ that explains why this notion is not widely accepted. The speaker is unsure if they misunderstood Hawking's explanation or if it is simply nonsensical. They also express skepticism towards Hawking's popular writings, recommending a different book co-authored by him.
CaptainNorway
I watched a Stephen Hawking series a few months after reading an article about the significance of the Higgs Field and throughout the entire Stephen Hawking thing I was plagued by the notion that some aspects of relativity, such as how as something speed up as it gains mass could be explained through how this something interacts with the Higgs Field. Am I just super naïve, or is their a legit connection between interaction with the Higgs Field and distortion of time, among other things.

Physics news on Phys.org
See this FAQ on why the notion of mass increase with relative velocity is not much used anymore:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much.796527/

I am suspicious that you either misunderstand what Hawking said, or he was being a showman more than a physicist. Anyway, I think the notion is basically nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

CaptainNorway said:
the notion that some aspects of relativity, such as how as something speed up as it gains mass could be explained through how this something interacts with the Higgs Field

It can't. The interaction with the Higgs field is how we currently explain the nonzero invariant mass of certain particles (in the Standard Model without the Higgs field, all particles would have zero invariant mass). But invariant mass is, as the name says, invariant; it's not dependent on the speed of the particle.

I never understood the big hype about Hawking's public writings. The only really great book I know written by him is Hawking, Ellis, The Large Scale Structure of Space Time. The "Brief History" I didn't even finish to read. When he started talking about imaginary times as something else than a mathematical concept (Wick rotation in Q(F)T) or in the Matsubara formalism for equilibrium many-body QFT, I couldn't stand it anymore...

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a framework used to understand the laws of physics in relation to different perspectives. It consists of two main theories: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which takes into account the effects of gravity.

2. How does the Higgs field relate to the theory of relativity?

The Higgs field is a fundamental field that permeates the entire universe and is responsible for giving particles mass. In the theory of relativity, mass is a crucial component in understanding how objects interact with gravity. Therefore, the Higgs field plays a significant role in the theory of relativity.

3. What is the connection between relativity and the Higgs field?

The connection between relativity and the Higgs field is that the theory of relativity helps explain the behavior of the Higgs field and how it interacts with particles. Additionally, the Higgs field is included in the equations of general relativity, providing a deeper understanding of gravity and the structure of the universe.

4. How does the Higgs boson fit into this connection?

The Higgs boson, also known as the "God particle," is an elementary particle that is a manifestation of the Higgs field. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and its role in giving particles mass. The Higgs boson is also an essential component in understanding the connection between relativity and the Higgs field.

5. What implications does the connection between relativity and the Higgs field have?

The connection between relativity and the Higgs field has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It provides a deeper understanding of gravity and the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of matter. It also helps bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity, two fundamental theories that have yet to be unified. This connection could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in physics.