Can conservation of energy be applied to this problem?

• Thread starter Sferics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary: You are correct in thinking that the total mechanical energy remains constant throughout the orbit. However, the speed of the spaceship does not remain constant because its position, and therefore its potential energy, changes as it moves through the elliptical orbit. Overall, your thought process and equations are correct, but you may need to consider the changing potential energy as the spaceship moves through its orbit. In summary, the conservation of mechanical energy can be applied in this problem, but the potential energy of the spaceship must also be taken into account as it changes throughout the orbit.
Sferics

Homework Statement

http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2010_FmaSolutions.pdf

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex]net = 0 [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] Lo = L
Conservation of Mechanical Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by writing two equations: one for conservation of angular momentum and one for conservation of mechanical energy for the two given points of the elliptical orbit. This gave me,

3/2vo2 = GM/(2R)

Obviously taking the square root provides the answer given. And I know that sqrt[GM/(2R)] is an equation for the speed of a particle in a circular orbit. However, something does not seem quite right here.

Is it valid to apply conservation of energy? Is mass not expelled to thrust the rocket? Moreover, by applying conservation of mechanical energy instead to the maximum distance point on the elliptical orbit and any point on the circular orbit, would then the speed not remain remain vo due to the potential energy not changing (same radius)?

I also tried applying the conservation of angular momentum to the same two points. Following that logic, I also reached the conclusion that the speed not remained vo, also because the radius did not change. Since this is wrong, it lead me to question whether the external torque really was zero... is it incorrect to regard the rocket thrust as an internal torque?

I guess what I am asking here is for an outline of the correct thought process involved in solving this problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sferics said:
Is it valid to apply conservation of energy? Is mass not expelled to thrust the rocket?

Your approach is perfect.
The mass of the spaceship is given to be negligible. So don't worry about mass being expelled.

Related to Can conservation of energy be applied to this problem?

1. What is the purpose of the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10"?

The purpose of the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" is to test a student's understanding of Newton's laws of motion and their ability to apply them in various situations.

2. What topics are covered in the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10"?

The "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" covers topics such as force, mass, acceleration, equilibrium, and the relationship between them as described by Newton's laws of motion.

3. Is the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" a multiple-choice or free-response exam?

The "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" is a multiple-choice exam, with each question having four possible answer choices.

4. How long is the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" and how many questions are on it?

The "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" is typically an hour-long exam with 25 questions.

5. Is the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" a standardized exam?

Yes, the "2010 Fnet = ma Exam #10" is a standardized exam that is used by many schools and educational institutions to assess students' understanding of Newton's laws of motion.