Can Electric or Magnetic Fields Induce Liquid to Gas Transitions?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter roger5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Liquid State
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
roger5
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Hi

I asked a question recently about changing state from solid to liquid. The answers were very helpful. Now I have a similar question:

How about changing state from liquid to gas in the presence of an electric / magnetic field? Is that possible?

Thanks
Roger
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't heard of such a thing. As mentioned before, such liquids work because of magnetic alignment of ferrous materials in a colloid. They're like Jell-o that you can turn on and off.
This seems to overlap with a different thread about whether or not a gas can conduct electricity. A plasma, can, but I'm not sure about a neutral gas. Maybe something with metallic elements such as uranium hexafluoride? :confused: