Can GR Explain the Expansion of the Universe Through Curvature of Spacetime?

In summary, the conversation discusses Einstein's approach to gravity and how it differs from traditional understanding. It also mentions the possibility of applying this approach to the expansion of the universe, but notes that it is a speculative idea. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to look into cosmological solutions of general relativity for more information.
TrickyDicky
I've always admired the way Einstein approached gravity, -which had previously been treated as an a attraction, that is, a determined kinematics that had to be accounted for by a force-,from a completely different point of view, looking at it as the curvature that matter-energy produces in the trajectories of the rest of matter-energy. In a sense he switched kinematic notions by geometrical ones. Now purists are always stressing that since GR one shouldn't even talk about gravity as a force and that trajectories of bodies in gravitation fields are geodesics.
Now my question, has anybody tried that approach to the expansion of the universe,looking at it as the effect of a curvature of spacetime, that i guess would have to be opposite to the gravity field curvature? Of course the question would remain as to what would produce such a field?
If it is too wild a speculation, please let me know
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Now my question, has anybody tried that approach to the expansion of the universe,looking at it as the effect of a curvature of spacetime, ..

These are called cosmological solutions of general relativity. Try looking here for a start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations.

I don't have time to give a better answer right now ...

Yes, the fact that the universe is not static (either expanding or contracting) is a pretty unavoidable prediction of GR, the only way to make it static is to set the cosmological constant to one precise value and even then the solution is unstable to perturbations. The expansion of the universe doesn't require any sort of antigravity or anything (as you seem to suggest by 'opposite to the gravity field curvature), as I understand it it's a consequence of the initial momentum of the matter coming out of the Big Bang singularity, and the mass and energy of all that matter is constantly working to slow down the rate of expansion (though dark energy or the cosmological constant seem to be working in the opposite direction to accelerate the expansion, but this fits into standard GR too if you allow fields with 'negative pressure')

Related to Can GR Explain the Expansion of the Universe Through Curvature of Spacetime?

1. What is GR and how does it relate to the expansion of the universe?

GR, or General Relativity, is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between gravity and the curvature of spacetime. It is the currently accepted theory for understanding the behavior of large-scale structures in the universe, including the expansion of the universe.

2. How does GR explain the expansion of the universe?

According to GR, mass and energy cause spacetime to curve. This curvature affects the motion of objects, including galaxies. The expansion of the universe is a result of the large-scale curvature of spacetime, which causes galaxies to move away from each other at an accelerating rate.

3. How does spacetime curvature affect the expansion of the universe?

The curvature of spacetime determines the overall geometry of the universe. In a flat universe, galaxies would continue to move away from each other at a constant rate. However, in a positively curved universe, the curvature would cause the expansion to accelerate, while a negatively curved universe would cause the expansion to slow down.

4. Is there evidence to support GR's explanation for the expansion of the universe?

Yes, there is strong evidence from observations and experiments that support GR's explanation for the expansion of the universe. These include the measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the observed redshift of distant galaxies, and the behavior of gravitational lensing.

5. Are there any proposed alternatives to GR's explanation for the expansion of the universe?

There are some alternative theories, such as Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) and some theories incorporating dark energy, that attempt to explain the expansion of the universe without relying on the concept of spacetime curvature. However, these theories have not been able to fully explain the observed data and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.