Can I Apply Physics Concepts to a Zipline Ride?

In summary, the conversation involves a user seeking help with a physics question about finding velocity and momentum on a zipline. They are advised to draw a diagram and consider using energy instead of forces in their calculations. The concept of sag in the zipline is also discussed, as well as the limitations of applying conservation of momentum in this scenario. The user eventually figures out the solution on their own with the help of the advice given.
delta76
Hey! I am new on the forum and I joined because I really enjoy physics but I have a horrible teacher. I was wondering if anyone could help me on a question
how do I find the velocity at the end of the zipline?
how do I find the momentum of the object going down the zipline after it is deployed and before it lands?
and does the conservation of momentum work for a zipline.
thanks!
delta

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram, labeling all the distances and any forces you can. That's where you always start with this kind of problem.

Likes delta76
phinds said:
Draw a diagram, labeling all the distances and any forces you can. That's where you always start with this kind of problem.
I drew a FBD that showed the forces along with the overall structure of the system but where do I go from there? Is there an equation i should use? also thank you so much for responding it means a lot to me!
delta

delta76 said:
I drew a FBD that showed the forces along with the overall structure of the system but where do I go from there? Is there an equation i should use? also thank you so much for responding it means a lot to me!
delta
Pics. We must have pics. No pics, it didn't happen. (better still, instead of a pic of a free-hand drawing, use a graphics tool to create a nice neat diagram)

Likes delta76
Is this a specific homework question? If so it would help to post the exact question. Right now there's not enough information to start. What kind of zipline is it? How is the object hanging from the zipline? Is it just a simple loop of rope/cable, or is there a wheel? Do you need to account for any forces other than gravity and friction (such as air resistance)? Is this a frictionless zipline?

Likes delta76
delta76 said:
delta
You will notice that if the zip line does not sag, you get infinite force in the wire. So it must have some sag.
In other respects it is like an inclined plane; it is just calculating the wire tension that is more complicated.

Likes delta76 and jedishrfu
Forget Forces. Use Energy in your calculation of a good ballpark figure. If you know the biggest drop in height - from start position to lowest point on the trajectory. Then you can equate the Gravitational Potential Energy (mgΔh) with the Kinetic Energy (mv2/2). m cancels out and you can then work out v.
It assumes 100% efficiency, of course but using Forces involves all sorts of assumptions, like direction of the wire as you go along and the time throughout the journey is much more difficult.
Momentum at any time is just mv (you found v already). To take account of the dip in the wire, the Energy calculation again can give you the resulting lower speed when you reach the end.
Conservation of Momentum hardly applies here because the passenger is under an external force (gravity) so you would need to include the Earth in a calculation.

Likes delta76, jedishrfu and tech99
sophiecentaur said:
Forget Forces. Use Energy in your calculation of a good ballpark figure. If you know the biggest drop in height - from start position to lowest point on the trajectory. Then you can equate the Gravitational Potential Energy (mgΔh) with the Kinetic Energy (mv2/2). m cancels out and you can then work out v.
It assumes 100% efficiency, of course but using Forces involves all sorts of assumptions, like direction of the wire as you go along and the time throughout the journey is much more difficult.
Momentum at any time is just mv (you found v already). To take account of the dip in the wire, the Energy calculation again can give you the resulting lower speed when you reach the end.
Conservation of Momentum hardly applies here because the passenger is under an external force (gravity) so you would need to include the Earth in a calculation.
Hey! thanks for your help, I actually was able to figure it out on my own but that you so much!

tech99 said:
You will notice that if the zip line does not sag, you get infinite force in the wire. So it must have some sag.
In other respects it is like an inclined plane; it is just calculating the wire tension that is more complicated.

Thanks so much! I acc ended up figuring it out
tech99 said:
thanks so much for your help, I acc figured it out but thank you so much!

phinds said:
Pics. We must have pics. No pics, it didn't happen. (better still, instead of a pic of a free-hand drawing, use a graphics tool to create a nice neat diagram)
thank you so much for your help i acc figured it out but your advice about the FBD really helped

Likes phinds

Related to Can I Apply Physics Concepts to a Zipline Ride?

1. How does a zipline work?

A zipline works by utilizing the force of gravity to move a person or object along a suspended cable from a higher point to a lower point. The cable is typically inclined at a downward angle, creating a slope for gravity to pull the person or object down.

2. What are the main physics principles involved in a zipline?

The main physics principles involved in a zipline include gravity, friction, and potential and kinetic energy. Gravity provides the force for movement, while friction helps control the speed and direction of the zipline. Potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the person or object moves down the zipline.

3. How is the speed of a zipline determined?

The speed of a zipline is determined by several factors, including the steepness of the slope, the weight and mass of the person or object, and the amount of friction on the cable. The steeper the slope and the lighter the person or object, the faster the speed will be. More friction on the cable will slow down the speed.

4. Can a zipline be affected by wind or other external forces?

Yes, external forces such as wind can affect the speed and stability of a zipline. Wind can create additional friction on the cable, slowing down the speed. Strong winds can also cause swaying or movement in the cable, which can impact the stability and safety of the zipline.

5. Are there any safety concerns with ziplines from a physics perspective?

Yes, there are several safety concerns that should be addressed when constructing and operating a zipline. These include properly calculating the slope and weight capacity of the cable, ensuring the cable is securely anchored and supported, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the zipline to prevent wear and tear on the cable and other components. Additionally, external factors such as wind and weather conditions should be taken into consideration for the safety of riders.