Can I Create a 15 Degree Phase Shift with Transformers?

In summary, a 15 degree phase shift can be achieved with transformers by adding a regulated voltage to the phase-to-neutral voltage at the source terminal. This is done by using a winding in series with a network branch. Delta wye transformers are commonly used to create a 30 degree phase shift. Phase shifting transformers can be expensive but are useful in controlling real power flow in the grid. A simple way to make a non-adjustable phase shift on a delta winding is by tapping the output at different points.
kper
I was wondering how I can get a 15 degree phase shift with transformers. I know a delta wye transformer creates a 30 degree phase shift.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kper said:
I was wondering how I can get a 15 degree phase shift with transformers. I know a delta wye transformer creates a 30 degree phase shift.

The change in phase angle between the terminal voltages of the transformer unit is carried out by
adding a regulated voltage to the phase-to-neutral voltage at the source terminal.
A winding in series with a network branch is used to insert the regulated voltage that, when added
with the appropriate phase to the source terminal phase-to-neutral voltage,
sets up the desired direction of the active power flow between the transformer terminals.

the circuit diagram and a few methods for phase sifting can be seen at
Ref: https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pes/newyork/NewSite/PDFs/Protection%20Related/Phase_Shifting_Transformer_Modeling.pdf

Likes anorlunda
drvrm told you about phase shifting transformers. Those things are expensive, but incredibly useful devices at key points in the grid. Remember that real power flow depends on angle, so shifting phase controls real power flow.

The picture below shows a simple way to make a non-adjustable phase shift on a delta winding. Just tap the output at different points.

Power%2BTransformers%2BPrinciples%2Band%2BApplications%2B3.bmp.jpg

1. What is transformer's phase shift?

Transformer's phase shift refers to the difference in phase between the input voltage and the output voltage of a transformer. It is caused by the inductive reactance of the transformer's windings.

2. How does transformer's phase shift affect the output voltage?

Transformer's phase shift can cause the output voltage to be out of phase with the input voltage, which can lead to a change in the magnitude and frequency of the output voltage. This can result in a distorted output waveform.

3. What factors can cause phase shift in a transformer?

There are several factors that can contribute to phase shift in a transformer, including the inductive reactance of the windings, the magnetic core's permeability, and the frequency of the input voltage. Additionally, the load connected to the transformer can also affect the phase shift.

4. How is phase shift measured in a transformer?

Phase shift is typically measured by using an oscilloscope to compare the input and output voltages of the transformer. The phase shift is then calculated by measuring the time difference between the two waveforms.

5. How can phase shift in a transformer be corrected?

Phase shift can be corrected by using phase-shifting transformers, which have multiple windings with different turns ratios. It can also be corrected by using power factor correction methods, such as adding capacitors to the circuit. Additionally, selecting the appropriate transformer design and materials can also help reduce phase shift.