Can I go to grad school to be an astrophysicist with a minor in astronomy?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of pursuing a career in astrophysics and computer engineering, including options for double majoring or minoring in the fields. The speaker emphasizes the importance of finding a subject that truly interests and motivates the individual. They also suggest researching potential graduate schools and ensuring that coursework aligns with their goals. It is possible to go to graduate school with just a minor in astrophysics, but it may not be as competitive as having a degree in physics or astronomy.
angela6884
Hello! I'm a senior in high school and I plan on getting a bachelors in computer engineering. I want to minor is astronomy (or double major although I heard engineering is very demanding so I would prefer to minor astronomy). When I complete the four years, and if I realize that I want to be an astrophysicist can I go to grad school with just a minor in astrophysics? Sorry I'm a little confused with the college process, but I think I'm choosing the right terms.

Also are there any career options that includes both astrophysics and computer engineering, say at NASA...?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best thing is to get your goals as early as possible. Then concentrate.

Look for the thing that glimmers. The subject that, when you are working on it, you don't mind the time or effort. You get stuck in and find you have been working hard and productively for hours and look up and have not noticed the time. The work that draws you back even when you are supposed to be studying something else.

If you can work in a subject like that, nobody will have to push you. You will just naturally work hard at it. And it will be rewarding.

Maybe comp eng is your thing. Maybe astronomy is your thing. There is some overlap, especially now with radio astronomy and digital signal processing and various things. Observational astronomy could possibly fit very well with comp eng.

While you are in undergrad, be searching around on the net for the school you might want to do your grad work in. See if you can find their entry requirements. See if you can make the undergrad degree match, and still satisfy your requirements for the undergrad degree. Contact the potential grad school profs directly and ask what they think.

You have still some time before things are rigid. You will have significant choice on what classes to take.

If you are going into astronomy imo, you should study physics and maths. Computer science is not necessary as most students will teach themselves programming with C or Python or just take a semester class.
Once you are at grad school, you will take astro classes in your first year.

angela6884 said:
I realize that I want to be an astrophysicist can I go to grad school with just a minor in astrophysics?

Possible, sure. But you will not be as competitive as applicants with physics or astronomy degrees.

1. Can I go to grad school for astrophysics with a minor in astronomy?

Yes, it is possible to go to grad school for astrophysics with a minor in astronomy. Many graduate programs in astrophysics or astronomy accept students with a minor in either subject.

2. Will having a minor in astronomy give me an advantage in applying to grad school for astrophysics?

Having a minor in astronomy can give you an advantage in applying to grad school for astrophysics. It shows that you have a strong foundation in the subject and are well-rounded in your knowledge of both astrophysics and astronomy.

3. Will I need to have a specific undergraduate major to go to grad school for astrophysics?

No, you do not need to have a specific undergraduate major to go to grad school for astrophysics. Many graduate programs accept students from a variety of majors, including physics, astronomy, mathematics, and engineering.

4. What skills or experience should I have before applying to grad school for astrophysics?

Some skills and experience that may be beneficial for applying to grad school for astrophysics include a strong background in mathematics and physics, research experience, and coursework in astronomy and astrophysics. It is also helpful to have a passion for the subject and a strong work ethic.

5. Are there any specific requirements for admission to grad school for astrophysics?

Specific requirements for admission to grad school for astrophysics may vary between programs. However, most programs will require a strong academic background in mathematics and physics, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. Some programs may also require a research thesis or project. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in applying to.