Can I load my entire OS into the RAM? If so, how?

In summary, Elliot thinks that using RAM for storage instead of SSD is a good idea because RAM does not lose data like SSDs do and Windows can be pre-loaded onto RAM which makes the computer run faster. disadvantages of this type of build are that it is expensive and extra hardware may be necessary.
Moose_Ryder
The DDR3 1333 is relatively cheap, so I'm thinking about buying a server mobo that can stock up to 64 GB of RAM (2^64 enables that many address lines, I suppose?) Then I can pre-load the entire windows into the RAM, so :

Advantages:
super-groovy and sweet just to think about
lightning fast
No need to worry about viruses (RAM would be wiped clean once off-line)

Disadvantages:
Clearly very expensive
The software may not exist
Extra hardware maybe necessary
updating windows would be complicated
may be impractical due to windows' nature (disc borne, Ram-run)

I tried SSD, yes it's fast, and it got me thinking, why bother SSD if RAM can be used for mass storage? Even if it means I have to use 32GB just to store the OS while the rest <32GB to run the OS?

Thoughts?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Windows primarily runs off of RAM as it is. With the windows repair/recover option, it's actually running a very light OS just off RAM. The same goes with when you boot with an Ubuntu LiveCD.

Check this out. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootToRAM

The biggest issue I would have with it is an unexpected power loss or memory error causing (an attempted, at least) crash dump. Zap! All your work is gone.

What's your intent with a build such as this?

There are some really awesome lightweight linux distros that run basically all in ram
For example puppy linux does just that if i remember right.. i think tinyos might i can't remember but google those and yeah..
Winderp already has to much stuff in ram.. same with android.

But this is a very powerful concept with good linux distros

B Elliot has a great point. And yes, it is fun to tink with stuff like that. Just don't trash your distro to do it.
Remember all of the software you've installed?

DSL (Damn** Small Linux), ARM and others are small for special reasons: Knoppix was definitely designed and (I believe DSL was designed) for diskless workstations to boot from a PROM or CD. ARM linux was designed for the chip the runs your home refrigerator or maybe your 2001 Toyota. It has a total of maybe 50MB.

In fact having a Knoppix CD was a good idea as a rescue disk way back when.

Have a read: this is meant for Raspberry Pi - another really fun, inexpensive thing to mess with using a tiny linux:

http://elinux.org/ArchLinux_Install_Guide
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

These tiny versions don't do sound well, play games well or do graphics well necessarily. After you read the install guide you'll see the trade offs.

If you want to do it - go for it. Just do not blow away your current distro. You may want it back when you get bored with wget instead of firefox.

I cannot provide a definitive answer as it ultimately depends on the specific operating system and hardware configuration. However, theoretically, it is possible to load an entire operating system into RAM. This is known as a "RAM disk" and has been used in some specialized applications such as embedded systems.

The main advantage of loading the OS into RAM would be the speed at which it can run, as RAM is much faster than traditional storage devices such as hard drives or SSDs. However, as you mentioned, this would also be very expensive as you would need a large amount of RAM to store the entire OS. Additionally, as RAM is volatile memory, it would need to be constantly powered to maintain the data, which could be a disadvantage in terms of energy consumption.

There are also practical considerations to take into account, such as the complexity of loading and updating the OS in this manner. It is likely that specialized software and hardware would be necessary, and it may not be compatible with all operating systems.

In terms of using RAM as a mass storage device, it is not a practical option as it is not designed for long-term storage and would require constant power to maintain the data. SSDs, on the other hand, are designed for this purpose and are much more reliable.

Overall, while the idea of loading the entire OS into RAM may seem appealing, it is not a practical or cost-effective solution at this time. SSDs and other storage technologies are continually improving and provide a more efficient and reliable way to store and run operating systems.

1. Can I load my entire OS into the RAM?

Yes, it is possible to load your entire operating system into the RAM. This is known as a RAM disk or RAM drive, where the RAM is used as a temporary storage space for the operating system and its files.

2. How can I load my entire OS into the RAM?

To load your entire OS into the RAM, you will need to create a RAM disk using specialized software. This software will allocate a portion of your RAM to be used as a disk drive, where you can then install your operating system.

3. What are the benefits of loading my entire OS into the RAM?

Loading your OS into the RAM can result in faster boot and load times, as well as improved overall system performance. This is because the RAM is much faster than a traditional hard drive, which is typically used to store the operating system.

4. Are there any downsides to loading my entire OS into the RAM?

One downside to loading your OS into the RAM is that it can use up a large portion of your available RAM, leaving less space for other programs and applications to run. Additionally, if your computer loses power, any unsaved work or changes made to the OS will be lost.

5. Is loading my entire OS into the RAM recommended for all computers?

No, loading your entire OS into the RAM may not be necessary or recommended for all computers. It is typically only used in specialized situations where extremely fast performance is required, such as in high-end servers or for specific tasks like video editing. It is not necessary for everyday computer use.