Can Materials Change Properties in Response to Different Radiations?

In summary: I don't know what type of waves/energies might impact the object in space, but I would recommend looking into materials that are sensitive to radiation. Polycarbonate plastic is a common material that is sensitive to radiation, so it might be a good option to look into. A metal enclosure would block most types of radiation, but it is worth checking to see if anything else would work.
oror
is there a material out there that changes it's properties(for example it's color) when a radiation wave come into contact with it?
I need to detect what types of a energies/waves/signals impact a certain object in space (or at least show that radiation hit it some times with great power) without standing near it with a spectrum analyzer or EMF meter all day, and I am not sure about the type of waves/signals that impact it.
do you have any ideas about what material to use to cover that object in space that will give me hints as to what signals/waves influence it? (maybe heat resistant paint?)
will a metal enclosure that cover the object will block all type of waves/signals?

Physics news on Phys.org
oror said:
is there a material out there that changes it's properties(for example it's color) when a radiation wave come into contact with it?
I need to detect what types of a energies/waves/signals impact a certain object in space (or at least show that radiation hit it some times with great power) without standing near it with a spectrum analyzer or EMF meter all day, and I am not sure about the type of waves/signals that impact it.
do you have any ideas about what material to use to cover that object in space that will give me hints as to what signals/waves influence it? (maybe heat resistant paint?)
will a metal enclosure that cover the object will block all type of waves/signals?
Among common materials, polycarbonate plastic is notoriously sensitive to (ionizing) radiation. It tends to produce embedded bubbles proportional to incoming particle ionization density. Search for "polycarbonate track detector "
The entire question is meaningless though if you mean "EM radiation" in narrow sense of "RF/microwave EM radiation"). EMF meters or spectrum analyzers have their bandwidth and directivity limitations, therefore these tools are not very suitable to search for something unknown. I would recommend a broadband (diode-based) power meter for initial investigation.

Last edited:

Related to Can Materials Change Properties in Response to Different Radiations?

What is radiation sensitive material?

Radiation sensitive material is any substance or material that is affected by exposure to radiation, such as light, heat, or ionizing radiation. This can include photographic film, electronic sensors, and biological materials.

How does radiation affect sensitive material?

Radiation can cause changes in the molecular structure of sensitive material, leading to alterations in its physical or chemical properties. This can result in changes in color, density, or sensitivity to light.

What are some common uses of radiation sensitive material?

Radiation sensitive material is used in a variety of applications, including photography, medical imaging, and scientific research. It is also used in industrial processes, such as quality control and non-destructive testing.

What precautions should be taken when working with radiation sensitive material?

When handling radiation sensitive material, it is important to follow proper safety protocols to minimize exposure to radiation. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a shielded environment, and using proper handling techniques.

How can radiation sensitive material be stored and disposed of safely?

Radiation sensitive material should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sources of radiation. When disposing of sensitive material, it is important to follow proper protocols and regulations to ensure safe handling and disposal of any potentially hazardous materials.