Is Muesli Alone Sufficient for a Healthy Diet?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, according to Professor Vincent Marks, you could be suffering from Muesli Belt Malnutrition. While it is a nutritious diet, it is not balanced enough to replace all of your other meals and snacks and is not suitable for everyone. Jim Koch, the founder of the company that makes muesli, has given it a try and said that it is good with fish and limes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can one live of muesli alone, i find that muesli is all i need for food, but may be i need some thing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

According to Professor Vincent Marks, you could be suffering from Muesli Belt Malnutrition. According to him, eating an overly healthy diet could be depriving you of essential fats.

That idea is discounted by most scientific studies, though.

Muesli and orange juice - mmmmmm! :-p Sounds, uh, :rolleyes: , well, I've never actually tried it and I'm not sure I want to. It sounds like an overly healthy diet to me.

Let Mikey try it! He hates everything!

Muesli, orange juice and Guinness; it's all you need.

brewnog said:
Muesli, orange juice and Guinness; it's all you need.

Anything tastes good after a glass of Guinness.

Even dog crap.

I don't know, oxygen and water are pretty essential...

BobG said:
Let Mikey try it! He hates everything!
I googled to refresh my memory about when that was current and found this, which I'd never heard:

A few years after the commercial appeared, an urban legend began to spread that the unknown actor who played Little Mikey had died after eating an unexpectedly lethal combination of Pop Rocks (a type of carbonated hard candy) and soda.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mikey

Jim Koch of Cleveland, OH has some input; apparently he gave it a shot: "You might be
short on ascorbic acid and other vitamins found in green vegetables."

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Misc/misc.survivalism/2006-01/msg00771.html

Then there's this article on a Muesli diet:

Muesli is a nutritionally sound combination of foods, but it is not balanced enough to replace all of your other meals and snacks. Eating a diet of only muesli will not provide enough protein or the vitamins and minerals found in vegetables. Replacing breakfast and snacks with muesli is a good choice if you are trying to lose weight, but aside from not providing balanced nutrition, an all-muesli diet will not change the eating habits that put the weight on in the first place, and almost guarantees that you will put it all back on the minute you stop the diet.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338890-muesli-diet/

wolram said:
Can one live of muesli alone, i find that muesli is all i need for food, but may be i need some thing else.

sure, if you combine it with fish and limes.

Related to Is Muesli Alone Sufficient for a Healthy Diet?

1. Can one survive on muesli alone?

Technically, yes, one can survive on muesli alone. Muesli is a combination of grains, nuts, and dried fruits, which provide a good balance of carbohydrates, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals. However, it is not recommended to rely solely on muesli for nutrition as it may not provide all the necessary nutrients for optimal health.

2. Is muesli a healthy meal replacement?

Muesli can be a healthy meal replacement option if it is made with whole grains and does not contain added sugars or unhealthy fats. However, it is important to also incorporate a variety of other nutritious foods into your diet to ensure you are getting all the necessary nutrients.

3. Can muesli help with weight loss?

Muesli can be a part of a healthy weight loss diet as it is high in fiber and can help keep you feeling full for longer. However, it is important to control portion sizes and choose a muesli that is low in added sugars and calories.

4. Is muesli a good source of protein?

Muesli does contain some protein from the nuts and grains, but it is not a significant source compared to other protein-rich foods such as meat, eggs, and legumes. It is important to include a variety of protein sources in your diet to meet your daily protein needs.

5. Can muesli be eaten raw?

Yes, muesli can be eaten raw. It is typically made with raw, uncooked ingredients. However, some people may prefer to soak their muesli in milk or yogurt to soften it before eating. It is a personal preference and both options are nutritious.