Can Single Photons Bend When They Hit a Material?

In summary: At this point, the wave will start to refract and the intensity of the refracted light will be higher than the light that entered directly.
Choisai
As a physics student, I was taught that refraction happens because when light approaches a material with a refraction index that is different than the index of the medium it is traveling through at that moment, the light that hits it first, as shown here:

refr.gif

This raises to me two questions:

1) From this explanation it follows that waves that come perpendicular to the surface should not 'bend'. That is however not what I have seen personally. How can that be explained?
(I gather from that that such drawings are merely analogies and should not be taken literally, but that doesn't give me a full explanation)

2) What happens when single photons hit the material? Will they 'bend' as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Choisai said:
From this explanation it follows that waves that come perpendicular to the surface should not 'bend'.That is however not what I have seen personally. How can that be explained?

I hate to tell you, but the explanation is your personal experience is wrong - it doesn't bend. Don't feel too bad though - personal experience is notoriously 'imprecise'

Choisai said:
What happens when single photons hit the material? Will they 'bend' as well?

Best to have that explained by a master:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691125759/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But, and this is maddening, even that is a simplification, requiring some hairy solid state physics to fully explain.

Thanks
Bill

Choisai said:
From this explanation it follows that waves that come perpendicular to the surface should not 'bend'. That is however not what I have seen personally. How can that be explained?
What direction could it bend? If the waves come in perpendicular to the surface, there is no preferred direction, and so the wave must continue to go straight, by symmetry.

Choisai said:
What happens when single photons hit the material? Will they 'bend' as well?
Refraction is a collective effect involving many photons and the motion of many atoms in the medium. A single photon will go straight.

Even for a classical wave, refraction only takes place in the steady state after the wave has fully penetrated the medium. When the wave first arrives it will go straight, and this will be followed by a transient period during which the atomic motions come up to speed.

1. What is refraction of single photons?

Refraction of single photons is the phenomenon in which a single photon of light changes direction and speed as it passes through a medium with different optical properties. This results in the bending of the photon's path.

2. How does refraction of single photons occur?

Refraction of single photons occurs when the photon enters a medium with a different refractive index, meaning the speed of light is different in that medium. This change in speed causes the photon to bend as it travels through the medium.

3. What factors affect the amount of refraction of single photons?

The amount of refraction of single photons is affected by the difference in refractive index between the two mediums the photon is passing through, as well as the angle at which the photon enters the medium.

4. What is the role of wavelength in refraction of single photons?

The wavelength of a photon plays a crucial role in refraction, as different wavelengths of light will experience different amounts of refraction. This is due to the fact that different wavelengths of light have different speeds in a given medium.

5. How is the refraction of single photons used in practical applications?

Refraction of single photons has various practical applications, such as in lenses for glasses and cameras, fiber optics for telecommunication, and in the design of optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. It is also used in the field of optics to study the behavior of light and its interaction with different materials.