Can some help me explain what they are trying to say

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the necessary increase in Earth's rotation speed for a body on the equator to experience a centripetal acceleration of g. This is achieved by setting the equation a=w^2 * r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, w is the angular velocity and r is the radius of Earth, equal to g and solving for w. The resulting ratio of w to the actual angular velocity of Earth explains the feeling of weightlessness experienced at this point, as the Earth is spinning just fast enough for the body to orbit along its surface.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The book is asking me to find...

c) by what factor would the speed of the Earth's rotation have to increase for a body on the equator to require a centripetal acceleration of g to keep it on the earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find where centripetal acceleration = g. so a=w^2 * r. where w is angular velosity and r is radius of earth. make g=w^2*r, solve for w. then see that the ratio of w is to the actual angular velosity of earth. What is actually happening at this point is the Earth ( and therefore you) is spinning just fast enough to make you feel weightless. You will be orbiting the Earth right on its surface, pretty cool,huh?

Last edited:
Thanks.

That's what I thought. It is worth marks, so I had to make sure I had it.

1. What is the meaning behind their words?

The person is trying to convey a message or idea through their words. It is important to carefully listen and understand the context in which they are speaking to fully grasp their meaning.

2. How can I better understand what they are trying to say?

Active listening and asking for clarification can help in understanding what the person is trying to say. Paying attention to their nonverbal cues, such as body language and tone of voice, can also provide insights into their message.

3. What if I still don't understand what they are trying to say?

If you are having trouble understanding the person's words, don't be afraid to ask for further explanation or examples. It is also helpful to paraphrase what you think they are trying to say to confirm your understanding.

4. How can I effectively communicate my own thoughts to someone?

When trying to convey a message to someone, it is important to be clear, concise, and use language that the other person can understand. It can also be helpful to provide examples or visuals to support your ideas.

5. What if there is a language barrier in understanding what someone is trying to say?

In situations where there is a language barrier, it is important to be patient and try to find alternative ways to communicate, such as using gestures or finding a translator. It may also be helpful to learn some key phrases or words in the other person's language to facilitate communication.