How Do You Calculate Vector Displacement from a Plane to a Ship?

• Thread starter yj-k91
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining the vector displacement from a rescue plane to a sinking ship using information about their positions and angles relative to a radar station. The answer should be expressed in terms of east, north, and up, with units included. The user is seeking help because they were unable to solve it themselves.
yj-k91
can some1 help me with this question??

A radar station locates a sinking ship at range 18.2 km and bearing 134° clockwise from north. From the same station a rescue plane is at horizontal range 20.0 km, 151° clockwise from north, with elevation 2.33 km. What is the vector displacement from plane to ship, letting i represent east, j north, and k up. Enter answers in this order and include units.

i tried it myself but i can't get the answer. please help

Physics news on Phys.org

hello yj-k91 and welcome to PF :smile:
consider the radar station as the original point [zero point], then represent the position of both ship and plane in the form of:

Vship=x1i+y1j+z1k

Vplane=x2i+y2j+z2k

now, x and y values can be calculated using the given angles and distances [note that the angles are clockwise from the y-axis], the vector displacement from plane to ship will be:

Vd=Vship-Vplane

thank you so much drizzle.

1. What kind of question do you need help with?

As a scientist, I receive many different kinds of questions. Can you provide more context or information about the topic or subject you need help with?

2. What is the difficulty level of the question?

The difficulty level of a question can vary greatly, and it is important for me to know in order to provide the most accurate and helpful answer. Can you provide some background information on your current understanding of the topic or any specific areas that you are struggling with?

3. How much detail do you need in the answer?

Some questions require a more in-depth answer while others can be answered with a simple explanation. It would be helpful for me to know how much detail you are looking for in the answer so that I can provide the most appropriate response.

4. Have you tried finding the answer on your own?

As a scientist, I always encourage individuals to do their own research and problem solving before seeking help. Have you already attempted to find the answer on your own? If so, can you tell me what resources you have used and what you have already tried?

5. Is there a specific deadline for when you need the answer?

In order for me to prioritize and manage my time effectively, it would be helpful to know if there is a specific deadline for when you need the answer. This will also allow me to provide a more timely response to your question.