1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain to me what my professor did?

1. Nov 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-11-6_17-35-30.png

Two things I dont understand; how did he get that omega is sqrt(k/m-(b/2m)^2)
    And second; why is it that x(t) = e^(-bt/2m)* cos (omega*t+phi)
    shouldnt it rather be; x(t) = c1*cos(ωt) + c2*sin(ωt)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2015 #2
    I figured out why omega is what it is, but still dont understand how he got the equation for x(t)

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think he's assuming that the system is underdamped, so will be a damped sinusoid. The general solution can be molded into that shape:

##x(t) = c_1 cos(ωt) + c_2 sin(ωt)##
    ##~~~= \sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2}\left( \frac{c_1}{\sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2}} cos(ωt) + \frac{c_2}{\sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2}} sin(ωt) \right) ##
    ##~~~= \sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2}\left(cos(\phi) cos(ωt) + sin(\phi) sin(ωt) \right) ##
    ##~~~= \sqrt{c_1^2 + c_2^2} cos(ωt - \phi)## where: ##~~~~\phi = tan^{-1}\left( \frac{c_2}{c_1} \right)##

You can fudge the sign of the angle ##\phi## by negating it and interpreting it appropriately.

5. Nov 6, 2015 #4
    Aren't c1 and c2 constants? If so, I see a sinusoid, not a damped sinusoid.

6. Nov 6, 2015 #5

gneill

Ah, right. I left out the damping term in the general solution o:) So:
    ##x(t) = e^{-\alpha t}(c_1 cos(ωt) + c_2 sin(ωt))##
    Go from there. The roots of the auxiliary equation will be complex conjugates of the form ##\alpha ± \omega##, where ##\omega## can be further broken down as ##\omega = \sqrt{\alpha^2 - \omega_o^2}##

7. Nov 6, 2015 #6
    This is exactly the point where I dont know where to go from :P. Where does the c2sin(ωt) part go?

8. Nov 6, 2015 #7

gneill

See post #3. The sin and cos terms can be amalgamated into a single cos (or sin) term with a constant phase shift.

9. Nov 6, 2015 #8
    Look at the undamped case:

##x(t)=c_1 \cos (\omega t)+c_2 \sin (\omega t)##

and

##x(t)=A \cos (\omega t+ \phi)##

are equivalent. Note that each contains two constants of integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted