How Do I Solve This Projectile Motion Equation?

• Thread starter chevymechanic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with a physics equation involving velocity and the sine function. They are trying to solve for the initial velocity (V0) and have reduced the equation to -730=V0sin(-37.0)(5.00)-122.5, with the sine function causing confusion. After some discussion, the student realizes their mistake and successfully solves the equation.
chevymechanic

Homework Statement

Here's the equation I have:

0-730=V0sin(-37.0)(5.00)-(1/2)(9.8m/s2)(5.00)2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 202 m/s. I just can't figure out how to get there. I've reduced it to:

-730=(V0sin(-37.0))(5.00)-122.5

The sine is throwing me a curve ball. It's just an example equation out of the book so that I can solve the real one in my homework. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
sin(-37.0°) has a real valued result. What is it?

Can I ask why is the sin causing you a problem?

Why is it confusing you? sin -37.0° is just a number.

Last edited:
If you're using a claulator, make sure your trig functions use degrees rather than radians - that might be the trick

sin(-37.0)= -.601815

But when I try to solve -730=V0(-.601815)(5.00)-122.5 I get -730=V0-125.509. I just don't see how to go from that to the answer V0=202 m/s

chevymechanic said:
sin(-37.0)= -.601815

But when I try to solve -730=V0(-.601815)(5.00)-122.5 I get -730=V0-125.509. I just don't see how to go from that to the answer V0=202 m/s

Vo multiplies (-.601815)(5.00). Don't add (-.601815)(5.00) to -122.5!

Haha! Success! I've figured it out. I knew it had to be something simple. I just needed someone to clear things up for me. Thanks a million!

1. How do I start solving an equation?

To start solving an equation, you need to determine the type of equation you are dealing with. Is it linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.? Next, identify the terms and coefficients in the equation and use appropriate mathematical operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

2. What is the order of operations when solving an equation?

The order of operations when solving an equation is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). However, when there are multiple operations at the same level, you should work from left to right.

3. What do I do if I get a negative number when solving an equation?

If you get a negative number when solving an equation, it means that your solution is not a real number. This could happen in equations involving square roots or logarithms. In such cases, you may need to check your work or use a different method of solving the equation.

4. Can I check my answer when solving an equation?

Yes, it is always a good idea to check your answer when solving an equation. You can plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your answer is correct. If not, you may need to rework your solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations more efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve equations more efficiently. Firstly, always double-check your work to avoid simple mistakes. Secondly, try to simplify the equation by combining like terms or using inverse operations before solving. Lastly, practice solving different types of equations to build your problem-solving skills.