1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me understand the (basic) physics behind white dispersion in prisms?

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    Not really a homework question, but I don't understand the concept. How do I know when the light bends upward or downward? How do I know qualitatively how much the red and violet lights disperse apart?

I know it has something to do with Snell's law, but I can't seem to get the necessary equations to predict what happens. My teacher hasn't explained it, nor does my book.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Light always is nearer the perpendicular in the denser medium.
    It depends on the speed of red and violet light …

cacluating those speeds is way too difficult for your course :wink:

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Re: Can someone help me understand the (basic) physics behind white dispersion in pri

Oooh, ok I understand the answer to my first question now, thanks :)

On the 2nd part, I figured as much, but I'm not trying to calculate exact speeds. For example, if I were to compare the dispersion of colors in Air-Prism vs. Water-Prism, how do I determine if the colors expand or contract? That's where I tried to find a formula combining wavelength and index of refraction, only to get confused and wind up here. =/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook