Understanding Snell's Law: How to Know When Light Bends

In summary, The concept of light bending can be understood through Snell's law, but the necessary equations to predict the direction of bending may be difficult to obtain. It is important to note that light will always bend towards the perpendicular in the denser medium. To determine the qualitative dispersion of colors, one can compare the speeds of red and violet light in different mediums. However, calculating exact speeds may be too difficult for a basic course. When comparing the dispersion of colors in different mediums, it is important to consider the wavelength and index of refraction to determine if the colors will expand or contract.
Elbobo
Not really a homework question, but I don't understand the concept. How do I know when the light bends upward or downward? How do I know qualitatively how much the red and violet lights disperse apart?

I know it has something to do with Snell's law, but I can't seem to get the necessary equations to predict what happens. My teacher hasn't explained it, nor does my book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elbobo said:
How do I know when the light bends upward or downward?

Light always is nearer the perpendicular in the denser medium.
How do I know qualitatively how much the red and violet lights disperse apart?

It depends on the speed of red and violet light …

cacluating those speeds is way too difficult for your course :wink:

Oooh, ok I understand the answer to my first question now, thanks :)

On the 2nd part, I figured as much, but I'm not trying to calculate exact speeds. For example, if I were to compare the dispersion of colors in Air-Prism vs. Water-Prism, how do I determine if the colors expand or contract? That's where I tried to find a formula combining wavelength and index of refraction, only to get confused and wind up here. =/

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a scientific principle that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through a boundary between two different materials.

2. How does Snell's Law relate to light bending?

Snell's Law explains how light bends when it passes through different materials with varying refractive indices. The angle of incidence and the refractive index of the materials determine the angle of refraction, which causes the light to bend.

3. What are the key components of Snell's Law?

The key components of Snell's Law are the angle of incidence, the angle of refraction, and the refractive indices of the materials. These components are used to calculate the amount of bending that occurs when light passes through a boundary between two materials.

4. How is Snell's Law used in real life?

Snell's Law is used in many real-life applications, such as designing corrective lenses for glasses, creating lenses for cameras and microscopes, and understanding the behavior of light in different materials. It also helps in predicting the path of light in optical fibers and determining the optimal angle for light to enter a material for maximum efficiency.

5. What is the formula for Snell's Law?

The formula for Snell's Law is n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the materials, θ1 is the angle of incidence, and θ2 is the angle of refraction. This formula can be used to calculate the angle of refraction when the other components are known.