1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with an average force problem?

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    What is the average force exterted by a shot-putter on a 7.0 kg shot if the shot is moved through a distance of 2.8m and released with a speed of 13 m/s?

Can someone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2
    One way to solve this is with conservation of energy. Recall work W=Fs. That is force times distance. Also recall kinetic energy K = (1/2)mv^2.

This enough to get started?

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    another approach would be to figure out the average acceleration of the shot using v^2=v(initial)^2+2ad. from there finding the force is fairly simple.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  5. Oct 11, 2004 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got two equations: one for how far an object moves over a given amount of time, one for how fast an accelerating object moves over a given amount of time.

For distance:

[tex]s_f=s_i + v t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
    [tex]2.8m=0 + 0 + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
    [tex]at*\frac{1}{2}t=2.8m[/tex]

For velocity:

[tex]v_f=v_i+at[/tex]
    [tex]13 m/s = 0 + at[/tex]
    [tex]at=13m/s[/tex]

You can substitute 13m/s for at in the first equation and go from there.

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5
    bobg: noticed a slight problem with that method. would need to get a third formula for the time because of the (at)*(.5)(t). you're able to substitute out the at, but there's still a t in there that you would need to deal with.

the reason i chose the formula i did was because the only missing value in it was the acceleration, which happens to be the missing value from the righthand side of F=ma. a little algebra gives you a=v^2/(2d)

7. Oct 12, 2004 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your way is easier and more efficient. I just thought the other would be easier to visualize what is happening.

8. Oct 12, 2004 #7
    understood.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?