How Is Average Force Calculated in Shot Put?

In summary, to find the average force exerted by a shot-putter on a 7.0 kg shot, you can use the equations W=Fs and K=(1/2)mv^2 to solve for the distance and velocity of the shot. From there, you can use the equation F=ma to find the average force exerted by the shot-putter. Another approach would be to use the equation a=v^2/(2d) to find the average acceleration of the shot and then use F=ma to find the average force. Both methods are valid and efficient ways to find the average force exerted by the shot-putter.
Sima
What is the average force exterted by a shot-putter on a 7.0 kg shot if the shot is moved through a distance of 2.8m and released with a speed of 13 m/s?

Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to solve this is with conservation of energy. Recall work W=Fs. That is force times distance. Also recall kinetic energy K = (1/2)mv^2.

This enough to get started?

another approach would be to figure out the average acceleration of the shot using v^2=v(initial)^2+2ad. from there finding the force is fairly simple.

Last edited:
You've got two equations: one for how far an object moves over a given amount of time, one for how fast an accelerating object moves over a given amount of time.

For distance:

[tex]s_f=s_i + v t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]2.8m=0 + 0 + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]at*\frac{1}{2}t=2.8m[/tex]

For velocity:

[tex]v_f=v_i+at[/tex]
[tex]13 m/s = 0 + at[/tex]
[tex]at=13m/s[/tex]

You can substitute 13m/s for at in the first equation and go from there.

bobg: noticed a slight problem with that method. would need to get a third formula for the time because of the (at)*(.5)(t). you're able to substitute out the at, but there's still a t in there that you would need to deal with.

the reason i chose the formula i did was because the only missing value in it was the acceleration, which happens to be the missing value from the righthand side of F=ma. a little algebra gives you a=v^2/(2d)

Your way is easier and more efficient. I just thought the other would be easier to visualize what is happening.

understood.

1. What is an average force problem?

An average force problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the average force acting on an object over a period of time. This type of problem typically involves using the formula F = m*a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I solve an average force problem?

To solve an average force problem, you will need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration, and the time period over which the force is acting. You can then use the formula F = m*a to calculate the average force.

3. Can I use any unit for mass and acceleration in an average force problem?

Yes, you can use any unit for mass and acceleration as long as they are consistent. The most commonly used units for mass are kilograms (kg) and for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Are there any tips for solving average force problems?

One tip for solving average force problems is to carefully read the problem and identify all the given information. Then, make sure to use the correct formula and units in your calculation. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of average force problems?

Average force problems are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports science. They can be used to calculate the average force exerted by a person while running, the average force acting on a car during braking, or the average force required to lift an object with a pulley system.