1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help me with these problems?

1. Sep 3, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

Q1: resolve T1 into horizontal and vertical components. Then equate all the horizontal forces and all the vertical forces.

4. Sep 3, 2005 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

Q2: let T1 be the tension in the angled rope/string and T2 be the tension in the horizontal rope/string. Use the same strategy as for Q1 to solve for T1 and T2. Hence get coefft of friction

5. Sep 3, 2005 #4
    hmm still kinda confused, any chance you could show me step by step how to solve it

like how do you resolve T1 and T2 to get values.....like i know the 20 has components of x = 0, and y = -20 right? but how do u get values with the 30 degree angle?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  6. Sep 3, 2005 #5
    draw out the angles and use trig.

T1+T2=(0,+20)

use the sin and cos function to resolve the two tensions into vectors. you should have 2 sets of equations to solve for T1 or T2, once you know one the other is only a matter of substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?