Can Someone Help Me with Benzoic Acid & Benzaldehyde?

• Thread starter samadiqbal
  • Start date
In summary, the para, ortho, and meta effects of substituents on the acidity of benzoic acid depend on the position of the substituents and their ability to participate in resonance and inductive effects. NMR can be used to distinguish between ortho, meta, and para substitutions by observing the number of unique aromatic protons and their respective coupling patterns. The presence of electron donating or withdrawing groups can also affect the acidity of benzoic acid.
samadiqbal
Can someone please help me...

I have a few questions to ask.. if someone can help I will very thankfull..
1st: Can someone explain to me the para, ortho, and meta effects of subsituents on the acidity of benzoic acid..
2nd: Can HNMR be used to distinguish ortho-ethyl benzaldehyde, meta-ethyl benzaldehyde, and para-ethyl benzaldehde..

Physics news on Phys.org
If the group is an electron donating group (+R/+I), then the acidity of benzoic acid decreases. Opposite when an ewg is present (-R/-I).

In the ortho and para position, the groups can partake in resonance, and the resonance effect is greater than the inductive effect. Hence, the +R/-R groups effect the acidity more than the +I/-I groups. If a group is present on the ortho position, and it can form H-bonds, it will do so with th -COOH group present.

In the meta position, the groups do not undergo resonance with the benzene ring and can only show their +I/-I effect.

samadiqbal said:
I have a few questions to ask.. if someone can help I will very thankfull..
1st: Can someone explain to me the para, ortho, and meta effects of subsituents on the acidity of benzoic acid..
2nd: Can HNMR be used to distinguish ortho-ethyl benzaldehyde, meta-ethyl benzaldehyde, and para-ethyl benzaldehde..

Yes, NMR can be used to determine the differences between ortho, meta and para substitution. You can see that there will be one ortho proton remaining for ortho-ethylbenzaldehyde. This proton will be split by the others in the benzene ring but should be far enough from the others to be completely resolved. Integtration will give a 1:4 ratio with the other aromatic protons. Para-substitution will yield only two unique aromatic protons by introducing a C2 symmetry element. Both ortho protons will be identical (no ortho-ortho coupling) and both meta protons will be identical (no meta-meta coupling). The result is a pair of resolved doublets that integrate 1:1. You can see the spectra for yourself at the following site:

http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00800.htm

1. What is the difference between benzoic acid and benzaldehyde?

Benzoic acid and benzaldehyde are both organic compounds that contain a benzene ring. The main difference between them is their functional groups - benzoic acid has a carboxylic acid group (-COOH) while benzaldehyde has an aldehyde group (-CHO). This difference in functional groups leads to different chemical and physical properties between the two compounds.

2. What are the uses of benzoic acid and benzaldehyde?

Benzoic acid is commonly used as a food preservative and in the production of various chemicals and plastics. It is also used in dermatological products due to its antiseptic properties. Benzaldehyde is used in the production of fragrances, dyes, and flavorings. It is also used as a solvent and in the manufacturing of various chemicals.

3. How are benzoic acid and benzaldehyde produced?

Both benzoic acid and benzaldehyde can be produced through various chemical reactions. Benzoic acid is typically produced through the oxidation of toluene or benzene, while benzaldehyde can be produced through the oxidation of toluene or the hydrolysis of benzal chloride. Both compounds can also be produced through the breakdown of certain natural substances, such as almonds or cinnamon.

4. Are benzoic acid and benzaldehyde safe to handle?

Both benzoic acid and benzaldehyde are generally considered safe to handle, but they should still be handled with caution. Benzoic acid may cause skin irritation and benzaldehyde has a strong odor that can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use protective equipment when handling these compounds.

5. Can benzoic acid and benzaldehyde react with each other?

Yes, benzoic acid and benzaldehyde can react with each other under certain conditions. This reaction, known as the Cannizzaro reaction, results in the formation of benzyl alcohol and sodium benzoate. This reaction is often used in industrial processes to produce these compounds.