1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone Please help me understand what a distribution of probability function is

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the following question

p(x) = log_10(1 + 1/x) for x = 1,2,3, ... 9 (otherwise p(x)=0)

So firstly I had to prove that p(x) is a probability function, which I have done so (by proving the sum of all the values =1)
    anyway the second thing I have to do is determine an expression for the corresponding distribution function. How exactly do I do this? The information on wiki is confusing and the text book doesn't seem to cover it? Can anyone help?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've read 2 text books and the internet and I can't find an exact method or style of answer, but I know it has to have inequalities in it and I have done some working out plugging in each value and getting an answer, but I am unable to write it out in the format that the text book has... that is would be something like

P_x(x) = { 0 for x <1
    ... etc... but if I wrote something like =1 for x<=9 that isn't exactly true because if x was 8.5 then it wouldn't equal one.... this is what I was just working on when I realised I must have the wrong idea... the question asks me to write an expression for the distribution function.... is there a simple way I can just write a general?? Do I need to interal because I have worked that out just in case...

Thanks for any help you can give me..
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    What you're working with here is a discrete probability function, as you probably know. For each x you get the probability for that outcome. The random variable presumably denoted X has for example a chance log10(1 + 1/1) = log10(2) of being 1, and so on for the other defined values of x.

A distribution function, on the other hand, doesn't give you the probability that X is equal to x, but the probability that the outcome of X is less than or equal, to the given x. In this case, it's just the sum of all p(y) where 1 <= y <= x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?