Can Static Electricity be Converted into Continuous and Useful Levels of Power?

In summary: I'm just trying to understand some basics here before I go any further.Thanks!In summary, the amount of current that you can get from this is quite small (unless you count a lightning strike!). It would seem the size and design of the structure used to collect a charge would determine it's output.
Physics news on Phys.org
tortamuss said:

I believe that the amount of current that you can get from this is quite small (unless you count a lightning strike!). I didn't see any experimental or calculated data to show the current available under different weather conditions...

It would seem the size and design of the structure used to collect a charge would determine it's output. Large structure, large capacity?

Could a skyscraper that was isolated and specifically designed to collect static charge produce useable power? I guess that is the root of my question.

In my field, I design and build fairly large temporary structures that require static grounds for safety. As I understand it, the charge can be significant.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a 10$ solar cell at Radio Shack?

The average atmospheric flux is on the order of 10-6 amps per square meter [Feynman discusses this in his lecture series in the chapter on lightning]. So no, it would not be practical to use this as a power source.

That's a lot of sky scrapers...

I found this. It provides some interesting details on the subject.

http://f3wm.free.fr/sciences/jefimenko.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, for once the Mythbusters did it right; get a huge antenna and you can get a volt or two. I think they ran a couple hundred feet and could JUST power a watch.

Hell, you could do better with a black rubber bag in the sun, filled with water.

The more I read and see, the more feel that all large structures hold the potential to generate use-able power and could be designed to do so. Perhaps the Egyptians had it right...

tortamuss said:
The more I read and see, the more feel that all large structures hold the potential to generate use-able power and could be designed to do so. Perhaps the Egyptians had it right...

That's trivial energy. Please do not post misinformation here. That is against the PF Rules (see the Rules link at the top of the page).

I'm sorry if I came off wrong. Just trying to learn, and I thought the video was "neat".

Is this possible to calculate using the average atmospheric flux?

Math test... :0

Take a rectangular office building 100m x 100m x 200m(tall) with a glass exterior. (90,000 square meters of surface with the top). All the glass is isolated from the structure and is wired to discharge back to power positive. (perhaps factoring in 10kph wind at STP as well)

Simple, but would it work at all? What's the per second output?

Is voltage gradient from altitude (200m=2000v) a factor?

Does the interior (behind the glass) create a vector field?

Is it resistant to lightning?

... or would it do nothing but repel dust? :p

Last post. Last thought.

Here's the problem causing my confusion: Thousands and thousands of HAM raido ops around the globe use static discharge from their antennas to reharege 12v emergency batteries.

http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig#...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=aab0347a3953e8d5

video of antenna discharge.

http://www.google.com/webhp?rls=ig#...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=aab0347a3953e8d5

and

The average atmospheric flux is highly variable depending on environment and location. Static electricity is prevalent and poses a danger in the desert. It is caused by atmospheric conditions coupled with an inability to ground out due to dryness of the terrain, and air born dust.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...neous_Presentations/desert-operations-2.shtml

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22593550/

Or polar regions... etc... I lost the link to G.E. polar research papers. sick of google. If anyone can find it, it states the charge is highly elevated.

My last argument comes from personal experience. I build and design large aluminum structures that are coered in vinyl. I'm sure you've seen one. They set upon 6 inch thick wood pads so it is not grounded until I decide to install the ground myself. At times I have installed the ground late in the build due to circumstance.

I have had the **** knocked out of me by static discharge on many occasions. This is NOT a lie... (Next build, I'm going to toss my meter between the building and ground before I install the permanent static ground)

... Sorry if I'm being a pain, really, I'm more currious as an electrition and builder. I am simply trying to develop a baseline formula for a simple structure at average, then add variables. This has been a mental exercise for me, not trying to "save the world" here. I know the power is useable to a degree, but how much?

If I'm a crack-pot fool, so be it:smile:

Don't confuse a static discharge with the ability to provide continuous (and useful) levels of power.

You get such a 'violent' shock because it's allowed to build up. The overall draw really isn't that useful though. If you constantly Earth such items, you'd note insignificant values (if anything) on your equipment.

Related to Can Static Electricity be Converted into Continuous and Useful Levels of Power?

1. What is a static electricity converter?

A static electricity converter is a device that converts static electricity into usable electrical energy. It works by harnessing the energy from static electricity, which is created by the buildup of electric charges on the surface of objects, and transforming it into a current that can power electronic devices.

2. How does a static electricity converter work?

A static electricity converter typically consists of a series of plates or electrodes that are separated by insulating material. When static electricity is applied to the plates, it creates a potential difference, or voltage, between them. This voltage is then converted into a usable current through a process called rectification, where the alternating current is converted into direct current.

3. What are the benefits of using a static electricity converter?

One of the main benefits of using a static electricity converter is that it allows us to harness energy that would otherwise go to waste. Static electricity is constantly being generated in our environment, and by converting it into usable electrical energy, we can reduce our reliance on traditional energy sources. Additionally, static electricity converters are often more efficient and cost-effective than other renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power.

4. Can a static electricity converter power my entire home?

It depends on the size and efficiency of the static electricity converter. While they can generate a significant amount of energy, they may not be able to power an entire home on their own. However, they can be used in conjunction with other renewable energy sources to supplement power and reduce overall energy costs.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a static electricity converter?

As with any electrical device, there are potential safety concerns when using a static electricity converter. It is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer, and to have the device installed and maintained by a qualified professional. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the converter is properly grounded to avoid any risk of electric shock.