Understanding and Interpreting Data from Static Electricity Meter Experiments

In summary, the static electricity meter won’t stay zero when I am not moving and when I am electrically grounded. The video is the testing. If the video represents an experiment under known conditions, then the meter does not stay zero, which means there is an error.
Steven Ellet
TL;DR Summary
My detector won’t keep changing.
My static electricity meter won’t stay zero when I am not moving and when I am electrically grounded.

Video:

EDIT:
Can you see this?

shorturl.at/jsGV0

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like your video did not attach/link properly?

Edit -- Looks to be fixed now.

Last edited:
You can't link us to your Google drive.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
What do I do then?

Steven Ellet said:
What do I do then?
You can upload JPEG or PDF screenshots/stills to help us understand your setup. Or you will need to have a YouTube account or similar if you want to post a video, I think.

berkeman said:
You can upload JPEG or PDF screenshots/stills to help us understand your setup. Or you will need to have a YouTube account or similar if you want to post a video, I think.
Can you see that?

Steven Ellet said:
Can you see that?
See which what?

Sometimes instruments are broken or just weren't any good to begin with. Granted, we haven't seen ANY details in your case, but I suspect we don't know either. Have you done any experiments to verify correct operation under known conditions? For example, what if you wrap it up in Al foil connected to a good ground, perhaps with a small window to see the display. Is is stable then? Does it need new batteries? Have you read the manuals?

You can copy/paste an image directly into the text of a post.

DaveC426913 said:
You can, just the particular file you are sharing has to be configured as available for "everyone with the link".

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913 and berkeman
Borek said:
You can, just the particular file you are sharing has to be configured as available for "everyone with the link".
Fixed

DaveE said:
Have you done any experiments to verify correct operation under known conditions?
The video is the testing.

Steven Ellet said:
Right, OK. Then I guess you know the answer.

DaveE said:
Right, OK. Then I guess you know the answer.
What?

Steven Ellet said:
So, since the video represents an experiment under known conditions, where you are sure what the correct answer is, and since you have the measured data, you know what the meter does. Right? It seems you think you have a complete set of verification tests, so you must be done. Otherwise you'd be thinking of other experiments to clarify any uncertainty. If your happy with that test, then we're happy too; I guess.

BTW, my experience of decades working in EE labs has taught me that all instruments have errors*, and all can be misinterpreted, or used in incorrect ways. The art and science of lab work is understanding the error bars; i.e. what data is good data, what tests are good tests, what do you care about and what is close enough.

*PS: read the data sheets.

Likes Steven Ellet, SammyS and berkeman

1. What is static electricity and how is it measured?

Static electricity is a type of electrical charge that builds up on the surface of an object. It is measured using a static electricity meter, which detects the presence and magnitude of static electricity on an object.

2. What are some common experiments that can be conducted with a static electricity meter?

Some common experiments include measuring the static electricity on different types of materials, exploring how humidity affects static electricity, and investigating how distance affects the strength of static electricity.

3. How do you interpret the data collected from a static electricity meter experiment?

The data collected from a static electricity meter experiment can be interpreted by analyzing the magnitude and polarity of the static electricity measured. It is also important to consider the variables that may have affected the results, such as the materials used and environmental factors.

4. What are some potential sources of error in static electricity meter experiments?

Some potential sources of error include human error in handling the equipment, interference from other electrical sources, and variations in environmental conditions. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

5. How can the results of a static electricity meter experiment be applied in real-world situations?

The results of static electricity meter experiments can be applied in various industries, such as electronics, manufacturing, and healthcare. Understanding the behavior of static electricity can help prevent damage to sensitive equipment, improve product quality, and even aid in medical procedures.