Can the AD 7811 ADC be used for free space transmission?

• Thread starter lousyanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, Anson is seeking an expert who knows about ADCs for converting audio analog signals to digital signals and transmitting them using a laser diode. They are unsure about how to connect the circuit for transmission and are looking for guidance on using the ADC for this purpose. They have found some information about using an A to D converter and a shift register, but are still confused about how to get the data output and control the sampling rate. They are considering connecting the ADC directly to a microcontroller or microprocessor.
lousyanson
Hey all,

I am looking for any expert who knows bout the ADC.
I am planning to convert my audio analog signal to be digital signal, then i m goin to transmit that digital signal by using LASER DIODE.
However, I can't really understand the circuit, how to connect that for transmission.
As i know, it is converted for computer used purpose at ADC. anyone know how to do with the ADC for transmission in free space??

thanks,
anson

Engineering news on Phys.org
Suppose you had an A to D converter that converted an analog signal to 8 bit data. This would appear on the 8 output pins of the integrated circuit.

You could take these 8 outputs to the 8 inputs of a shift register and apply clock pulses to send them, one at a time to the serial output of the shift register.

These outputs could be used to switch a laser on and off.

This is the theory. Actually doing it fast enough to keep up with audio and synchronizing a receiver to decode it would take some pretty serious development work.

There is a lot of interest in this. I just Googled "laser audio link" and got lots of plans for doing this sort of thing. Not necessarily digital, but they claim to get good results.

from my datasheet, i found the data output(Dout) is always connected to the three-wire serial interface with data input (Din) and Serial Clock Input (SCLK). It really confuse me, how am i suppose to get the data output...

Sounds like you already have a serial output.
Which type of A to D converter are you using?

Here is some descriptive explanation of one type of serial A to D converter, the TLC0831:

A conversion is initiated by setting CS low, which enables all logic circuits. CS must be held low for the complete
conversion process. A clock input is then received from the processor. An interval of one clock period is
automatically inserted to allow the selected multiplexed channel to settle. DO comes out of the high-impedance
state and provides a leading low for one clock period of multiplexer settling time. The SAR comparator compares
successive outputs from the resistive ladder with the incoming analog signal. The comparator output indicates
whether the analog input is greater than or less than the resistive-ladder output. As the conversion proceeds,
conversion data is simultaneously output from DO, with the most significant bit (MSB) first. After eight clock
periods, the conversion is complete. When CS goes high, all internal registers are cleared. At this time, the
output circuits go to the high-impedance state. If another conversion is desired, CS must make a high-to-low
transition followed by address information.

So, you could take the output from the data-out line and switch your laser with it.

Did you have a look at any of those circuits on Google?

i already selected the ADC by myself which is AD 7811.
However, i wonder that sampling rate is able to be controlled although it stated it is 350kSPS in the datasheet.

Must i connect the ADC with the microcontroller or microprocessor? I was thinking that, i can directly get the data out from the Data Output pin.

1. What is an Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) and how does it work?

An Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) is a device that converts analog signals into digital signals. It works by taking a continuous analog signal and breaking it down into discrete digital data points. This process involves sampling the analog signal at regular intervals and quantizing it into a binary code.

2. Why is an ADC needed?

An ADC is needed because most modern devices, such as computers and smartphones, operate on digital signals. Analog signals, which are continuous and vary in amplitude, cannot be processed by these devices. Therefore, an ADC is used to convert the analog signals into digital signals which can be processed and understood by these devices.

3. What are the types of ADCs?

There are three main types of ADCs: successive approximation ADC, delta-sigma ADC, and integrating ADC. These types differ in their conversion methods, speed, and accuracy. Successive approximation ADC is the most commonly used type, while delta-sigma ADC is known for its high accuracy and integrating ADC is used for high-speed applications.

4. What factors affect the performance of an ADC?

The performance of an ADC can be affected by several factors, including resolution, accuracy, speed, linearity, and power consumption. Resolution refers to the number of bits used to represent the analog signal, while accuracy refers to how closely the digital output matches the original analog signal. Speed is the rate at which an ADC can convert the analog signal into digital form. Linearity refers to how well the ADC maintains a linear relationship between the input and output values. Power consumption is also an important factor to consider, as it can affect the overall efficiency and cost of the device.

5. What are the applications of ADCs?

ADCs are used in a wide range of applications, including communication systems, digital signal processing, data acquisition, and control systems. They are also used in medical devices, audio equipment, and automotive systems. In addition, ADCs play a crucial role in the conversion of analog signals from sensors, such as temperature and pressure sensors, into digital form for processing and analysis.