Can the Lambert-W Function Solve the Integral of x^x?

• Thread starter Castilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining an antiderivative for the integral of x^x, which cannot be expressed in elementary functions. Various solutions are suggested, including using infinite series and numerical methods, and the possibility of using the Lambert-W function is mentioned.
Castilla
Hello, a question: is there a reasonable way to obtain [tex]\int x^xdx[/tex] ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Not that my TI-89 knows of.

The integral cannot be expressed in elementary functions.
If an infinite series will do
[tex]\int \ x^xdx=\int \ e^{x\log(x)}dx=C+\sum_{k=0}^\infty \ \int_0^x \ \frac{\log^k(t)}{k!}t^kdt[/tex]
so if an infinite sum will do find an easy integral gets you a nice one.
[tex]\int \ x^{-x}dx[/tex]
is similar
[tex]\int_0^1 x^xdx[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_0^1 x^{-x}dx[/tex]
are extra nice

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you.

Castilla.

Castilla said:
Thanks to both of you.

Castilla.

Yea thanks.

Is there a way to remove the integral sign? Looks like they can be analytically determined. for example:

[tex]\int x^2ln^2(x)dx=2/3 x^3-2/9 x^3ln(x)+1/3 x^3ln^2(x)[/tex]

and higher powers involve corresponding higher powers of x and ln(x) in the antiderivative.

Last edited:
Castilla said:
Hello, a question: is there a reasonable way to obtain [tex]\int x^xdx[/tex] ??

It is provably impossible to represent that antiderivative as a finite combination of elementary functions. See the bottom of http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Integral.html for a confrimation of this fact.

This is not to say that it does not have a solution, it just not pretty.

The Problem could be solved by using the
integral of the infinite series
which could be calculated by the numerical methods
if u are interested in the solution i may work out the
algorithm or program for You

Idea

My intuition tells me you can use the Lambert-W function on this one. Just as Eisenstein made it work for "power tower" functions (N^N^N^N^N^N^N...). It might work.

If you want to know about that function, check the link on the post "A very interesting question about Complex Variable"

SebastianG said:
My intuition tells me you can use the Lambert-W function on this one. Just as Eisenstein made it work for "power tower" functions (N^N^N^N^N^N^N...). It might work.
If you want to know about that function, check the link on the post "A very interesting question about Complex Variable"

Something tells me that might make it worse.

Related to Can the Lambert-W Function Solve the Integral of x^x?

1. What is the fundamental concept behind solving the integral of x^x?

The fundamental concept behind solving the integral of x^x is the application of the power rule for integration. This rule states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1), where n is any real number except for -1.

2. Can the integral of x^x be solved analytically?

No, the integral of x^x cannot be solved analytically. It is a non-elementary integral, meaning it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common techniques for approximating the integral of x^x?

Some common techniques for approximating the integral of x^x include numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Monte Carlo integration. These methods involve dividing the function into smaller intervals and calculating the area under the curve using various formulas.

4. Are there any real-life applications of solving the integral of x^x?

Yes, the integral of x^x has applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force, the growth rate of a population, or the cost of producing a certain quantity of goods.

5. Can technology be used to solve the integral of x^x?

Yes, technology such as graphing calculators and computer software can be used to solve the integral of x^x. These tools use algorithms to approximate the integral and provide a numerical value. However, it is still important to understand the fundamental concept and techniques for solving this integral by hand.