Can this expression be factored?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the expression $x^2+4x-1$ can be factored into $(x+2+\sqrt{5})(x+2-\sqrt{5})$ using the quadratic formula or the complete the square method.
mathlearn
I was wondering whether this expression could be factored by any means

$x^2+4x-1$Many THanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not over the rationals, but if you multiply out $\left(x+\sqrt{5}+2\right)\left(x-\sqrt{5}+2\right)$, I fancy you'll get your original expression back. Wolfram|Alpha is a great way to check these sorts of things. You can use the quadratic formula to get it by hand (set your quadratic equal to zero).

Or you could use the quadratic formula to show that \(\displaystyle x^2+ 4x- 1= 0\) has roots \(\displaystyle \frac{-4\pm\sqrt{4^2- 4(1)(-1)}}{2(1)}= \frac{-4\pm\sqrt{16+ 4}}{2}= \frac{-4\pm\sqrt{20}}{2}= \frac{4\pm2\sqrt{5}}{2}= 2\pm\sqrt{5}\) so that its factors are \(\displaystyle (x- 2- \sqrt{5})(x- 2+ \sqrt{5})\).

Or "complete the square": \(\displaystyle x^2+ 4x- 1= x^2+ 4x+ 4- 4- 1= (x- 2)^2- 5= (x- 2)^2- (\sqrt{5})^2\), a "difference of two squares" which can be factored as a "sum and difference", \(\displaystyle (x- 2+ \sqrt{5})(x- 2- \sqrt{5})\).
(\(\displaystyle a^2- b^2= (a+ b)(a- b)\))

Complete The Square Method:
$x^2 + 4x - 1 $
$= x^2 + 4x + 4 - 4 - 1$
$ = (x + 2)^2 - 5$
$ = (x + 2)^2 - (\sqrt{5})^2$
$ = (x + 2 + \sqrt{5})(x + 2 - \sqrt{5})$

Related to Can this expression be factored?

1. Can all expressions be factored?

No, not all expressions can be factored. Some expressions, such as those that contain irrational numbers or variables with fractional exponents, cannot be factored using traditional methods.

2. How do I know if an expression can be factored?

To determine if an expression can be factored, you can try to factor it using common factoring techniques such as grouping, difference of squares, or perfect square trinomials. If the expression can be factored using these methods, then it is factorable.

3. Can expressions with negative numbers be factored?

Yes, expressions with negative numbers can also be factored. The same factoring techniques can be applied to expressions with negative numbers as well.

4. Are there any special cases where an expression can be factored?

Yes, there are some special cases where an expression can be factored. These include difference of cubes and sum of cubes, which have their own specific factoring formulas.

5. Can I use factoring to solve equations?

Yes, factoring can be a useful tool in solving equations. By factoring an equation, you can often find its roots or solutions, which can help you solve the equation.