Can You Combine Current Sources Question

In summary: I don't have time to do it right now, but will check it later.Yes.It should be easy to check the results. I don't have time to do it right now, but will check it later.In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem and the possibility of combining current sources. The original circuit is shown and the conversation includes discussions about the current through different resistors and the use of Kirchhoff's Current Law to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the suggestion to check the results later.
eatsleep
http://imgur.com/09Rj0ND
2. V=IR
3. My real question is if I can combine the current sources. I'm pretty sure you cannot. I have combined the resistors in parallel, but I am not sure what to do next

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
eatsleep said:

2. V=IR

3. My real question is if I can combine the current sources. I'm pretty sure you cannot. I have combined the resistors in parallel, but I am not sure what to do next

It depends on the situation, but in this case you cannot, IMO. There are current branches off of the top node, and the right side source is a dependent source.

If you have two independent current sources in parallel, you would usually be able to combine them.

eatsleep said:

2. V=IR

Display of your image.
attachment.php?attachmentid=58919&stc=1&d=1369174508.png

Attachments

• 09Rj0ND.png
    09Rj0ND.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 778
berkeman said:
It depends on the situation, but in this case you cannot, IMO. There are current branches off of the top node, and the right side source is a dependent source.

If you have two independent current sources in parallel, you would usually be able to combine them.

In order to solve this problem, am I correct in first combining the resistors? Then does Ib turn into 1Amp?

eatsleep said:
In order to solve this problem, am I correct in first combining the resistors? Then does Ib turn into 1Amp?

Not the way the circuit is drawn. Can you post the original circuit, so we can check that this drawing is correct?

The way it is drawn is a bit confusing. You show a wire carrying a current Ib, but that wire shorts the top of the two resistors, so there is no wire segment that can carry a current...

berkeman said:
Not the way the circuit is drawn. Can you post the original circuit, so we can check that this drawing is correct?

The way it is drawn is a bit confusing. You show a wire carrying a current Ib, but that wire shorts the top of the two resistors, so there is no wire segment that can carry a current...

This is the original drawing, from my teacher

eatsleep said:
This is the original drawing, from my teacher

That's unfortunate.

Well, you can still try to solve it, and hopefully it will yield the correct answer. Write KCL equations for the left node (to the left of the arrow "Ib") and for the right node, first assuming that they are at different voltages. Solve the right side equation to get a relationship between the voltage and the current Ib. Then assume that the two voltages are the same, and solve for the current Ib.

Seems kind of clunky. I honestly do not know why you were given a circuit drawn like that...

berkeman said:
That's unfortunate.

Well, you can still try to solve it, and hopefully it will yield the correct answer. Write KCL equations for the left node (to the left of the arrow "Ib") and for the right node, first assuming that they are at different voltages. Solve the right side equation to get a relationship between the voltage and the current Ib. Then assume that the two voltages are the same, and solve for the current Ib.

Seems kind of clunky. I honestly do not know why you were given a circuit drawn like that...

Thank you for the help!

Using Kirchhoff's Current Law:
What is the current through the 2kΩ resistor? (in terms of Ib) ?

What is the current through the 5kΩ resistor? (in terms of Ib) ?​

SammyS said:
Using Kirchhoff's Current Law:
What is the current through the 2kΩ resistor? (in terms of Ib) ?

What is the current through the 5kΩ resistor? (in terms of Ib) ?​

2kΩ resistor 10Ib?

5kΩ resistor 8Ib-1?

eatsleep said:
2kΩ resistor 10Ib?
Yes.

5kΩ resistor 8Ib-1?
No.

1 Ampere into the junction. Current of Ib out.

Those together with current through 5kΩ , whichever direction you choose.

SammyS said:
Yes.

No.

1 Ampere into the junction. Current of Ib out.

Those together with current through 5kΩ , whichever direction you choose.

I'm sorry, so the current through the 5kΩ is Ib-1?

eatsleep said:
I'm sorry, so the current through the 5kΩ is Ib-1?
Yes.

Upward.

Will solving for Vr1 by doing 5(Ib-1)=2(10Ib), solving for Ib, then plugging that backing to 5(Ib-1) work? seems too easy

eatsleep said:
Will solving for Vr1 by doing 5(Ib-1)=2(10Ib), solving for Ib, then plugging that backing to 5(Ib-1) work? seems too easy
Yes.

It should be easy to check the results.

1. How do you combine current sources?

Current sources can be combined by connecting them in parallel, meaning that their output currents are added together. Alternatively, you can use a current divider circuit to combine multiple current sources.

2. Can you combine current sources with different values?

Yes, you can combine current sources with different values as long as they are connected in parallel. However, keep in mind that the resulting total current will be the sum of the individual currents.

3. What happens when you combine current sources with the same value?

When you combine current sources with the same value, the resulting total current will be double the value of the individual current sources. For example, if you combine two 1mA current sources, the total current will be 2mA.

4. Is it possible to combine DC and AC current sources?

Yes, it is possible to combine DC and AC current sources. However, it is important to ensure that the AC current source has a frequency that is within the range of the DC current source's bandwidth. Otherwise, the AC current source may not function properly.

5. What are some applications for combining current sources?

One common application for combining current sources is in battery charging. By combining multiple current sources, you can increase the overall charging current and speed up the charging process. Another application is in power supply circuits, where multiple current sources can be combined to provide a stable and reliable source of current for electronic devices.