Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you get the power used from 1 hour meter reading?

1. Jul 23, 2013 #1
    Can I get that kw used for that hour from reading the meter in one hour?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

The answer depends on the specifics of what you need to know. Your method provides the average power draw over a period of one hour. Some utilities meter the average over 15 minute intervals. Or, you may be looking for the instantaneous peak power. It really depends on what exactly you want to know.

4. Jul 23, 2013 #3
    I have a 200kw in my meter deposit.

now in a period of an hour, how much kilowatt am I using? Say on that peak time of 12:30 when it's really hot, all air conditioning is being used, someones watching TV, 2 fridges, cooking electric so on and so forth.

Am I drawing the full 200k at that hour?

Looking at my meter, how do I know?

5. Jul 23, 2013 #4
    I think you want to say 200 kWhr (not kW).. If your meter is showing 200 kWhr in one hour then it means that you have used a total power of 200 kW in that one hour.. If you want to measure the power you are using at a particular instant then its a bit complicated.. For this you have to measure the load current of your home and then multiply it with the voltage (and offcourse the Power factor) and this will give you the instantaneous power..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  6. Jul 23, 2013 #5

I have 200kW in my meter deposit. In one hour, how do I know from looking at my meter that I'm using any amount of the 200kW?

But yes, your assumption is correct sir. I do want to measure how much power I'm using at a particular instant of a period of one hour.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  7. Jul 23, 2013 #6

russ_watters

What is a "meter deposit"?

8. Jul 23, 2013 #7
    My bad.. One method is what I have described above.. another simple method is that you watch your meter for some time (say two minutes) and note the change in the meter reading of kWhr. Now divide that reading with the time and you will get the KWs you are using. e.g your meter shows a usage of 1kWhr during an interval of 2 minutes then (1kWh x 60 min/hr) / 2 min = 30 kW. So you are using 30 kW at that time.

9. Jul 23, 2013 #8
    Where I am.....the power company charges a deposit depending on the assumed kw your residence or building is to consume. They call it a meter deposit.

So if it's a commercial use+kw and some other magic numbers then you pay that in the application.

10. Jul 23, 2013 #9

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Residential meters in my location in the USA can be thought of an electric motor that spins faster when you use more power. Of course most have been replaced with digital versions but the principle is the same. When you say 200 KW in your meter deposit I assume you mean 200 KWH (Kilowatthours). You could use 200 KW for one hour, 400 KW for half an hour, or 20 KW for 10 hours and it would all be the same thing as far as paying for electricity used. However, it is unlikely you have equipment capable of supplying 200 KW. This would be over 800 amps at 240 volts. A 200 amp service is not uncommon in my area and this is about 48 KW at 240 volts.

11. Jul 24, 2013 #10

Evo

ardeelo, if you are trying to get out of the deposit, from what I've heard, it based on an average of what the previous tenants used. Just call your power company.

12. Jul 24, 2013 #11
    It's a new application. The previous meter was removed. I'm laying out a new workshop.

13. Jul 24, 2013 #12

Evo

Ok, but the deposit is not based on one actual single hour, but an average. If you want to know what it's based on, call them. Are you trying to debate the deposit? It's not based on your actual usage when you first open an account. If you pay your bills on time, they should refund it after a year.

14. Jul 24, 2013 #13
    hmmnn not necessarily. Our power company is the most evil and insidious monopoly there is. Once you cancel your contract and the meter itself is returned to the office, only then can the deposit be returned. I don't know if anyone has ever even done that.

My power rate is based on the assumed kw I would require plus a factor that my space is for commercial use.

If they find that I used more than 200kW, they would adjust my power rate again and request for an addendum to the "meter deposit".

But nothing in the contract says anything about using less than the allotted/assumed 200kW.

That's why I wanted to know how much am I exactly consuming in that one instant during a peak use moment/period.

15. Jul 24, 2013 #14

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Where I live there is a minimum charge no matter how little you use. This charge is based on the size of the transformer. No matter how long you use less than the monthly minimum you will still pay it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook