Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No, I don't carry a cellphone.

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sometimes it can be useful. The most interesting use I ever had was when friends came to visit us, and they got lost in the town, so I tried to find them ('we're driving by a school' - 'on your left side ?' - 'yes' - 'pull over, I think I know where you are, I'll be there in 5 minutes...' - 'ok' .... - 'I'm now at the gate of that school, do you see me, I'm waving...' - 'nope' - 'ok, then that was not the right school, I'll try another one...' - 'oh, wait, is that you ?' ...)
Yep, those are the situations where I'm glad I have it. Also good for meeting people in new places. "I'm at the train station." ... "Okay, I'll meet you there.... I've just arrived and am waiting outside." ......"Which entrance?" ... "The south side of the station." ...."Which side is south?" ..."Nevermind, I'll just park and find you inside. Where are you standing?" ...

No need to make a call in a busy environment where you would hear nothing because of all the noise (bars or downtown).
That's one of the rare reasons I'll opt for text messaging rather than calling. If I'm not someplace noisy, I can just call people much faster than I can text them. But, if we're out at a bar, or I've even run into this problem at conferences when it gets really noisy in the convention center and I'm trying to give someone directions where to meet me, then it's quite useful to be able to read the message instead of trying to hear it.