Can you me with this thevenin problem ?

• Thread starter ujnikm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thevenin
In summary, the conversation discusses a Thevenin problem in which the sources are set to 0 and the Rth is calculated to be 3.667 KΩ. Using superposition, the current source is removed and replaced with an open circuit to find Vth1 = -3.333 V, and then the voltage source is removed and replaced with a short circuit to find Vth2 = 25 V. However, there is debate about the correct value for Vth2, with some friends saying it is 30 V. The conversation concludes with a request for the correct value and a reminder to consider terminal A-B as an open circuit when finding the Thevenin voltage.
ujnikm
Can you please help me with this thevenin problem ?

Please guys can you help me with this??
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/cache.php?url=http://s14.postimage.org/9eysbodr5/image.png
I set all sources to 0 so we have Rth=3.667 KΩ
then using superposition and remove the current source and replace it with open circuit so we have Vth1 =-3.333 V
then remove the voltage source and replace it with short circuit so we have Vth2=25 V
so Vth=25-3.3333=21.667 V

other friends tell me that Vth2=30 V

what's the correct ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

ujnikm said:
Please guys can you help me with this??
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/cache.php?url=http://s14.postimage.org/9eysbodr5/image.png
I set all sources to 0 so we have Rth=3.667 KΩ
then using superposition and remove the current source and replace it with open circuit so we have Vth1 =-3.333 V
then remove the voltage source and replace it with short circuit so we have Vth2=25 V
so Vth=25-3.3333=21.667 V

other friends tell me that Vth2=30 V

what's the correct ??

Listen to your friends :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

gneill said:
Listen to your friends :wink:

why?

ujnikm said:
why?

Show your work for finding Vth2. Remember that terminals A-B are an open circuit when finding the Thevenin voltage.

Sure, I would be happy to help you with this Thevenin problem. Looking at the circuit diagram provided, it seems like you have correctly calculated the Thevenin resistance (Rth) to be 3.667 KΩ by setting all sources to 0. However, I think there may be an error in your calculation for Vth1. When removing the current source and replacing it with an open circuit, the voltage across R1 would be equal to 0, so Vth1 should also be 0. So, the correct Vth value would be Vth = Vth2 - Vth1 = 30 - 0 = 30 V. I hope this helps clarify the correct solution for this problem.

What is a Thevenin problem?

A Thevenin problem is a type of circuit analysis problem that involves finding the equivalent Thevenin circuit for a given linear circuit. This equivalent circuit consists of a single voltage source and a single resistor, and it simplifies the analysis of the original circuit.

How do I solve a Thevenin problem?

To solve a Thevenin problem, you first need to identify the load circuit and remove it from the original circuit. Then, you calculate the Thevenin voltage by finding the open-circuit voltage between the two terminals where the load circuit was removed. Next, you calculate the Thevenin resistance by finding the equivalent resistance between those same two terminals. Finally, you use the Thevenin voltage and resistance values to construct the equivalent Thevenin circuit.

What is the purpose of solving a Thevenin problem?

The purpose of solving a Thevenin problem is to simplify the analysis of a linear circuit. By finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit, we can reduce the original complex circuit to a single voltage source and resistor, making it easier to calculate voltage, current, and power at any point in the circuit.

Why is the Thevenin equivalent circuit important?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit is important because it allows us to analyze complex linear circuits using simple circuit analysis techniques. This simplification makes it easier to design and troubleshoot circuits in real-world applications.

What are some common mistakes when solving Thevenin problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Thevenin problems include forgetting to remove the load circuit, miscalculating the Thevenin voltage or resistance, and forgetting to take into account the polarity of the Thevenin voltage source. It is important to carefully follow the steps for solving a Thevenin problem and double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.