Can You Solve ax^2-40x+40=0 for Both a and x?

In summary, in order to solve the equation ax^2-40x+40=0 for both a and x, we would need more information as there are two unknowns and only one equation. However, if we are looking to solve for just one variable, we can use the quadratic formula to express either a or x in terms of the other variable. For this specific equation, the formula would be x = \frac{20 \pm 2\sqrt{10(10 - a)}}{a}. Another way to approach the problem is by rewriting the equation as a=40\frac{x-1}{x^{2}}, which allows us to solve for a given any non-zero value for x.
dbn
if you can solve ax^2-40x+40=0 for a and x that would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
No. We have two unknowns (a and x) and one equation. At best, we can express a in terms of x, and vice versa, but no better. To express x in terms of a, simply apply the quadratic formula to the equation you have. You'll get:

[tex]x = \frac{20 \pm 2\sqrt{10(10 - a)}}{a}[/tex]

if you can solve ax^2-40x+40=0 for a and x that would be great
use this formula [tex]\frac{-b ^+_- \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}[/tex]where a=a, b=-40 and c=40

Paden Roder

Well, sorry! I just stated the quadratic formula, as AKG said. This was the first time I have used LaTeX though, pretty cool, once you get the hang of it.

Paden Roder

i still don't get it can some one give me a walk through on how to use them with this problem/

a= 0 x= 1
i just fount it

*groan*

I bet there are millions of answers for this one.

I came up with a = 10, x = 2

phreak said:
I bet there are millions of answers for this one.
:rolleyes:

I bet there's more than that. In fact, I bet the set of all possible answers is uncountably infinite. I'd bet a lot of money on it, since, as AKG said, with one equation and two unknowns, this isn't going to go anywhere.

dbn said:
i still don't get it can some one give me a walk through on how to use them with this problem/
Now, while the others have shown how to find x given a, here's how you may find the a-value for any choice of x-value:
[tex]ax^{2}-40x+40=0[/tex]
Rewrite this as:
[tex]a=40\frac{x-1}{x^{2}}[/tex]

Hence, for any non-zero choice of x, only a single value for a is allowed by the equation.

Is this the whole question?
Unless it's an 'express x in terms of a' type question you can't solve it with only that information.

Related to Can You Solve ax^2-40x+40=0 for Both a and x?

What is the formula for solving this quadratic equation?

The formula for solving a quadratic equation in the form of Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0 is x = (-B ± √(B^2-4AC)) / 2A.

How do I know if I should use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve this equation?

You should use the quadratic formula if the equation cannot be easily factored. If the equation is in the form of Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0, and A, B, and C are all non-zero values, then you can use the quadratic formula.

What steps do I need to take to solve this equation using the quadratic formula?

Step 1: Identify the values of A, B, and C in the equation Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0.Step 2: Substitute these values into the quadratic formula: x = (-B ± √(B^2-4AC)) / 2A.Step 3: Simplify the equation.Step 4: Use a calculator to find the solutions, if necessary.Step 5: Check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation to make sure they work.

Can you explain the discriminant and how it relates to this equation?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign: B^2-4AC. It is used to determine the number of solutions to a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there will be two real solutions. If it is zero, there will be one real solution. And if it is negative, there will be no real solutions.

What are the possible solutions to this equation?

The possible solutions to this equation can be found by using the quadratic formula: x = (-B ± √(B^2-4AC)) / 2A. If the discriminant is positive, there will be two real solutions. If it is zero, there will be one real solution. And if it is negative, there will be no real solutions.