Books on Atomic Structure, Chemical Bonding, Quantum for Beginners

In summary, a rookie in the subject is seeking help with understanding atomic structure, chemical bonding, and the importance of quantum numbers and spins. They do not have a strong background in advanced math but are looking for resources that approach these topics from a more accessible perspective. Another individual suggests checking out the "Solid State Chemistry" course at MIT on edx.org, where a free enrollment will provide access to a large elementary book on the subject by Averil.
SovereignX
Hi all!

I would like to ask your help!
I am a rookie in the subject. I have to admit i don't exactly interested in the mathematical way. I really don't have the "basic" advanced math which would needed it. :)
Look at me if i would be a high school physics and chemistry teacher whose imaginary students don't have to solve wave functions or understand Schrodinger's equation. :)
So if you would be so kind and could suggest me books - by in the light of the mentioned form - about atomic structure, chemical bonding (why they are forming) importance of quantum numbers, spins etc. I know a part of it is quantum physics, part of it chemistry or physical-chemistry.

Thank you in advance!

I'm a rookie too, but i think you need something related to "Solid State Chemistry", I recommend you a way to get one for free at edx.org, search for "Solid State Chemistry" course at MIT, and if you enroll (free) you can download a huge elementary book by Averil.

Karmo

1. What is the importance of understanding atomic structure, chemical bonding, and quantum mechanics?

Understanding these concepts is crucial for understanding the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is essential for many fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners to learn about atomic structure, chemical bonding, and quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many excellent books on these topics for beginners. Some popular ones include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Theodore L. Brown et al., "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

3. Is there any prerequisite knowledge required to understand these concepts?

Basic knowledge of chemistry and physics is helpful, but not necessarily required. These books are designed for beginners and will introduce the necessary background information as needed.

4. Are there any interactive resources available for learning about atomic structure, chemical bonding, and quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as interactive simulations, videos, and virtual labs that can enhance your understanding of these concepts. Some recommended websites include ChemCollective, PhET Interactive Simulations, and Virtual Chemistry Experiments.

5. How can understanding atomic structure, chemical bonding, and quantum mechanics benefit me in my everyday life?

Understanding these concepts can help you make informed decisions about the products you use, the foods you eat, and the environment around you. It can also provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of how the world works at a microscopic level.