Can you tell the difference between two neutrons in an alpha particle?

In summary: Not really. Alphas are not ordinary nuclei, since every nucleon is in the 1S state. (Indeed, by some measures, an alpha is smaller than a proton).The model of one particle in the potential well created by the other three is not very good for alphas. Two and two is even worse.And guessing tends to confuse the OP more than clarifying.
wasong
TL;DR Summary
Can you tell the difference between two neutrons in an alpha particle?
Can you tell the difference between two neutrons in an alpha particle? In one alpha particle, we know that the sum of the spins of two neutrons is zero. Can a neutron with upspin and a neutron with downspin be distinguished from each other? Or can't you tell because it's superimposed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrons are indistinguishable fermions. All you can say is that when measuring the spins of the two neutrons you find with some probability each of the 4 possible outcomes, given by the prepared state, in this case a bound state of 2 protons and 2 neutrons within a 4He nucleus.

Where did you get the information about the sum of the spins of the two neutrons being zero?

Likes PeroK and atyy
vanhees71 said:
Where did you get the information about the sum of the spins of the two neutrons being zero?
My knowledge of nuclear physics is almost zero, but I guess that if the two neutrons are understood to be in the ground state of a potential well, then Pauli's principle demands that they are in a singlet state.

But it's a bound state of four particles not two particles in a potential well.

vanhees71 said:
But it's a bound state of four particles not two particles in a potential well.
That's how nuclei are modeled, particles within a potential well, like Wood-Saxon. Besides, the total wavefunction is antisymmetric for the proton variable and antisymmetric for the neutron variables, but there are no antisymmetry demands between one neutron and one proton.

http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/ab1u06/teaching/phys3002/course/05_shell.pdf

Anyways, a better answer requires someone that actually knows nuclear physics. I'm curious to know if my guess is correct or not.

andresB said:
I'm curious to know if my guess is correct or not.
Not really. Alphas are not ordinary nuclei, since every nucleon is in the 1S state. (Indeed, by some measures, an alpha is smaller than a proton).

The model of one particle in the potential well created by the other three is not very good for alphas. Two and two is even worse.

And guessing tends to confuse the OP more than clarifying. It's better to ask on another thread.

Last edited:
Likes protonsarecool, vanhees71 and PeroK

1. Can two neutrons in an alpha particle be distinguished from each other?

Yes, two neutrons in an alpha particle can be distinguished from each other based on their individual properties such as spin, energy, and location within the particle.

2. What is the purpose of determining the difference between two neutrons in an alpha particle?

The purpose of determining the difference between two neutrons in an alpha particle is to better understand the structure and behavior of the alpha particle, as well as to study nuclear reactions and interactions.

3. How do scientists differentiate between two neutrons in an alpha particle?

Scientists use various techniques such as particle detectors, spectroscopy, and mathematical models to differentiate between two neutrons in an alpha particle.

4. Is it possible for two neutrons in an alpha particle to have the same properties?

No, two neutrons in an alpha particle cannot have the exact same properties. They may have similar properties, but there will always be slight differences that can be detected by scientists.

5. What implications does being able to distinguish between two neutrons in an alpha particle have on nuclear research?

The ability to distinguish between two neutrons in an alpha particle allows for more precise and accurate studies of nuclear reactions and structures, leading to advancements in fields such as energy production, medicine, and materials science.