[Canada] Electric Equipment requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and regulations of non-CSA approved computer equipment in Canada. The suggestion is made to contact the electrical regulations authority for accurate information, but it is also mentioned that Industry Canada cannot provide this information. It is noted that there may be regulations for selling equipment, but not necessarily for using it. After further research and consultation, it is determined that there is no CSA standard for computers, but there is for power converters.
cpscdave
Does anyone know, or know where I go could to find more information.

Are we allowed to bring in and use equipment (computer& computer related) that isn't CSA approved if the equipment has CE and/or FCC certifications?

I can't seem to dig up information on specifically if this is kosher or not.
Thanks
-Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
your best bet for accurate info would be to go to the electrical regulations authority in your country/area
why go anywhere else ?

Haha I did contact Industry Canada, and they said they can't provide that information.

I feel comforted that my tax dollars are going to good use!

cpscdave said:
I did contact Industry Canada, and they said they can't provide that information.

cant or won't ?
as in will only supply it to registered electricians etc ?

As a tourist to Canada, nobody at the border questioned me about the devices I was bringing.

There could be regulations about selling equipment, as opposed to using it. You have to find someone who knows the Canadian rules.

After continuing to look into this and speaking with a couple people who know CSA rules better we've come to the following conclusion.

It appears as there is no CSA standard covering computers. If you look on a laptop or other similar device they all lack a CSA approval.
What does have a CSA standard is any sort of power converter. So if the computer equipment takes 120v directly (monitor, printer, etc) they all have the CSA label, as do the power converters for laptops.

1. What are the regulations for electric equipment in Canada?

The regulations for electric equipment in Canada are outlined in the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC). This code is updated every three years to ensure safety and consistency in the installation and use of electric equipment.

2. Do electric equipment in Canada need to be certified?

Yes, all electric equipment used in Canada must be certified by an accredited certification body. This ensures that the equipment meets the safety standards set by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and can be used safely.

3. Are there any specific requirements for grounding electric equipment in Canada?

Yes, all electric equipment must be grounded in accordance with the CEC. This is to prevent electric shock and ensure the safe operation of the equipment. The specific grounding requirements can vary depending on the type and size of the equipment.

4. Are there different requirements for residential and commercial electric equipment in Canada?

Yes, there are different requirements for residential and commercial electric equipment in Canada. Residential equipment is subject to the CEC, while commercial equipment may also need to comply with additional provincial and territorial regulations.

5. Is there a list of approved electric equipment in Canada?

Yes, the CSA maintains a list of approved electric equipment in Canada, known as the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) Part II. This list includes all equipment that has been certified to meet the safety standards set by the CSA and can be used in Canada.