Canada Freezing: Check Out CBC Report

In summary, the conversation discusses the current cold weather and how it compares to winters in the past. Some participants share their memories of colder winters in previous decades and how the temperatures have changed. Others make sarcastic comments about global warming and how it affects different regions. The conversation ends with a discussion about the recent cold temperatures and how they seem to be colder than usual.
fourier jr
check it out:
tempmapwx_e.gif

or this one:
wocanmap0_e.jpg

& this CBC report:
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/mov/jones-cold080129.mov

:bugeye: Luckily for people who don't like the cold it will warm up a bit by the weekend. I like it the way it is though. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For those of us who were born here in the 50's, this is a pretty mild winter.

Yes, winter use to be cold all the time. Outdoor ice rinks would open the day after Thanksgiving and close the first of March.

Whoa, that's deadly. Be careful up there!

Here in central Maine, we used to ice-skate on bogs and farm ponds on our Thanksgiving break, and shovel off the ice after every snow storm so we would have places to skate on our Christmas break. The temperatures this winter are the closest to "normal" '50s and '60s temperatures that we have seen in the past decade.

I remember one year when I was about 10 my family decided to have a ski holiday along the Alberta/BC border. Unfortunately, the temperature plunged to about -40 C. Instead of skiing we drove from hot spring to hot spring. The water was nice and warm but the air was so cold that our hair started to freeze - we had to dunk our heads under every few minutes to defrost. (I also remember hating school swimming lessons for the same reason - we didn't have enough time to dry off properly and our hair would freeze walking back to school from the swimming pool.)

I also remember hating school swimming lessons for the same reason - we didn't have enough time to dry off properly and our hair would freeze walking back to school from the swimming pool.
Isn't that potentially debilitating (e.g. to the brain)? That sounds like a punishment for taking swimming!

EnumaElish said:
Isn't that potentially debilitating (e.g. to the brain)? That sounds like a punishment for taking swimming!

The school never seemed to grasp why everyone loathed PE.

When I lived in Ontario I grew to really enjoy swimming. I would cycle to the university, then hit the pool and do some laps. After a good shower I bundled up my stinky cycling clothes and went to my office in a nice cool cotton dress. Much more pleasant than basting in my own sweat all day!

I knew global warming was a bunch of bull.

I'm looking forward to global warming so I can live in the tropics!

tribdog said:
I knew global warming was a bunch of bull.

Of course. The evil Earth scientists probably use examples such as Calgary to show how wild temperatures can fluctuate due to global warming! Look at 1988!

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=2205&Year=1988&Month=2&Day=29

They point to much less wild winters such as:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html

and claim that it must have gotten worse than in the 50's. However, they ignore three years later, and this February:

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html

Of course, I'm being sarcastic, but it has been ridiculously cold in Western Canada these past few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Arizona I actually saw a puddle frozen over the other day. brrr

tribdog said:
Here in Arizona I actually saw a puddle frozen over the other day. brrr

I haven't seen any puddles frozen over, but I did have a bit of frost on my car a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean I can complain about the cold too?

wildman said:
I haven't seen any puddles frozen over, but I did have a bit of frost on my car a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean I can complain about the cold too?
Yes you can, but you will be hunted down relentlessly, zip-tied and thrown into a nice warm commercial freezer until you get your head straight. :rolleyes:

I'll tell you what, I don't know what is going on, but these past couple of days have been horrible. It seems like the wind is about 20 degrees colder than the air it's in. It is soooo cold. It isn't the wind chill factor, it's just a cold wind. Or is that the same thing?

1. What is the CBC report about Canada freezing?

The CBC report is about the extreme cold weather conditions in Canada and how it is affecting the daily lives of Canadians.

2. What are the main reasons for Canada's freezing temperatures?

The main reasons for Canada's freezing temperatures are its geographic location, cold Arctic air masses, and the polar vortex.

3. How is Canada's freezing weather impacting its citizens?

The freezing weather in Canada is impacting its citizens in various ways, such as causing power outages, transportation disruptions, and health risks from extreme cold.

4. Are there any measures being taken to address the freezing conditions in Canada?

Yes, the Canadian government and local authorities are taking measures to ensure the safety and well-being of its citizens during the freezing conditions. This includes providing shelters for the homeless, issuing weather alerts, and advising people to stay indoors.

5. Is this level of cold weather normal for Canada?

While Canada is known for its cold winters, the current freezing conditions are considered extreme and not typical for the country. However, it is not uncommon for Canada to experience very low temperatures during the winter months.