Can't seem to get this energy problem

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: J of energy. It will compress the spring until it stops, giving up all of its kinetic energy to the spring. Then the spring will start exerting a force on the block, which will then move back up the incline. When it reaches the top, it will have all potential energy and no kinetic energy.
holezch

Homework Statement

An ideal massless spring S can be compressed 1 metre by 100 N. That same spring is placed at the bottom of a frictionless incline which makes a 30 degree angle with the horizontal. A 10-kg block M is released from the top, and this block compresses the spring by 2 metres before coming to a rest.

a) Find the total distance traversed by the block on the incline

b) Find the speed of the block just before it hits the spring [ I suppose I could probably get this if I get a) ]

Homework Equations

W = K1 - K0

E = K + U

0 = change in K + change in U
... et c

The Attempt at a Solution

A couple of things are confusing to me.. If the spring has been compressed by 2 metres, then the block acts with a force on 200 N onto the spring.. but where does this magnitude come from? The only thing that would slide the block down is the weight.. and that isn't 200 N or anything like that.

If I knew how to explain that, I think that I would first figure out the kinetic energy as it hits the spring and work from there - since I can solve the equation W [Fd] = K1 - K0 and K0 would just be 0.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elastic PE stored in compressed spring is (1/2)kx2=(1/2)(100N/m)(2m)2=200J. This is the KE of block at bottom of incline because this is the amount of energy that the block loses in compressing the spring. The block gains KE in the amount mgh as it slides down incline. mgh = 200J, h=2.04 m. d(plane length)=h/sin30 = 4.08m. Then (1/2)mv2=200J, v=6.32m/s.

Last edited:
Heidi M said:
Elastic PE stored in compressed spring is (1/2)kx2=(1/2)(100N/m)(2m)2=200J. This is the KE of block at bottom of incline because this is the amount of energy that the block loses in compressing the spring. The block gains KE in the amount mgh as it slides down incline. mgh = 200J, h=2.04 m. d(plane length)=h/sin30 = 4.08m. Then (1/2)mv2=200J, v=6.32m.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry but I can't really understand your answer :S Could you please explain it some more? Where did you get h = 2.04..et c?

And the answer should be 4.1m for a)

Thanks!

You need use only energy conservation.

At the bottom of the incline:
energy lost by the block as the spring slows it to a stop (the block's kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline) = energy gained by the spring = (1/2)(100N/m)(2m)^2 = 200J

As the block slides down the incline:
energy at the top = energy at the bottom
Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
Ui = Kf
mgh = 200 J where h is the height of the incline (the altitude)
(10kg)(9.81m/s^2)(h) = 200J
h = 200/(10x9.81) m
h = 2.04 m

The incline is a right triangle with height h (the altitude) and hypotenuse d (the plane length). sin30degrees = h/d, then d = 4.1m.

The kinetic energy Kf at the bottom of the incline is 200J, which is equal to (1/2)mv^2, so (1/2)(10kg)v^2=200J, then v^2=2(200)/10 m^2/s^2 = 40m^2/s^2, then v = 6.32 m/s.

You could use the work-kinetic energy theorem to solve this problem, but the solution would be more complicated.

okay, I got it! Thanks :) but the answer to the second part should be 4.5 m/s, what happened?

Last edited:
holezch said:
A couple of things are confusing to me. If the spring has been compressed by 2 metres, then the block acts with a force on 200 N onto the spring, but where does this magnitude come from? The only thing that would slide the block down is the weight, and that isn't 200 N or anything like that.
The component of the block's weight along the incline is 49 N. Until the spring is compressed to the point where it exerts 49 N, the net force on the block is still down along the incline, and the block will be speeding up. It's only after the spring starts exerting a force greater than 49 N does the block slow down, so when the block finally comes to rest, the spring will be exerting a force greater than 49 N, possibly much greater.

How much the spring is ultimately compressed depends on, not only the block's weight, but on its initial speed. The spring will be compressed more if the block is moving faster initially than if it were moving slowly.

vela said:
The component of the block's weight along the incline is 49 N. Until the spring is compressed to the point where it exerts 49 N, the net force on the block is still down along the incline, and the block will be speeding up. It's only after the spring starts exerting a force greater than 49 N does the block slow down, so when the block finally comes to rest, the spring will be exerting a force greater than 49 N, possibly much greater.

How much the spring is ultimately compressed depends on, not only the block's weight, but on its initial speed. The spring will be compressed more if the block is moving faster initially than if it were moving slowly.

Thanks, I think I understand. The spring makes the mass exert a greater force onto the spring.

By the way, can you see what happened? the answer for part b) should be 4.5 m/s, but the answer Heidi got was 6.32 m/s :S

Thanks

Oops. When the block first hits the spring it will have gravitational potential energy as well as kinetic. That 200 J of energy is divided into 101.9 J of kinetic and 98.1 J of potential, giving a speed of 4.5 m/s.

Note: when the block first hits the spring its altitude will be 1 m and its gravitational potential energy will be mgh = 10x9.81x1 J.

Heidi M said:
Oops. When the block first hits the spring it will have gravitational potential energy as well as kinetic. That 200 J of energy is divided into 101.9 J of kinetic and 98.1 J of potential, giving a speed of 4.5 m/s.

Ah okay, thanks!
And just to clarify a point here:Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
Ui = Kf

Ki = 0 and Uf = 0 because we are considering the mass as it slides to some point... where in our case, our mass will have no potential energy (it will stop moving there, no more gravitational PE). and Ki = 0 because v0 will equal to zero at some point.

THanks!

Yes, I see what happened. She made a mistake. The answer is 4.5 m/s. What did you get?

(I guess I should refresh the thread before I post.)

Heidi M said:
Note: when the block first hits the spring its altitude will be 1 m and its gravitational potential energy will be mgh = 10x9.81x1 J.

Okay, and you got the altitude by 1.7/sin(90) = a/sin(30) ?

Thanks

Ki is zero because the problem states that the block is "released." So you assume it starts from rest. You make the choice to set the zero level for gravitational potential energy at the block's lowest altitude (you don't have to), so Uf will be zero.

Last edited:
(2m)(sin30)=1m.

2m (the compression distance) is the hypotenuse.

excellent, it's all clear to me now! Thanks!

By the way, I appreciate all the help.. this is the first conservation of energy question I've done so sorry for dragging it out for so long

Of course it was dragged out for so long...because of my mistake!

Glad you've got it all figured out.

1. What is causing the energy problem?

There could be various factors contributing to the energy problem, such as insufficient infrastructure, limited resources, or high demand. It is essential to assess and identify the root cause to find a sustainable solution.

2. How can we solve the energy problem?

Solving the energy problem requires a multi-faceted approach involving technological advancements, policy changes, and individual actions. It is crucial to prioritize renewable energy sources and promote energy-efficient practices to reduce our dependency on fossil fuels.

3. Is the energy problem a global issue?

Yes, the energy problem is a global issue as it affects all countries, regardless of their level of development. The depletion of non-renewable resources and the impacts of climate change make it a pressing concern for the entire world to address.

4. What are the consequences of not addressing the energy problem?

The consequences of not addressing the energy problem can be severe, including environmental degradation, economic instability, and social conflicts. It can also lead to an increase in energy prices and hinder sustainable development.

5. How can individuals contribute to solving the energy problem?

Individuals can contribute to solving the energy problem by adopting energy-efficient habits, such as using public transportation, reducing energy consumption at home, and supporting renewable energy initiatives. Education and awareness about the issue can also help in promoting sustainable behaviors.