Can't solve differential equation for atmosphere density

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation for the atmosphere density of a planet with a thick atmosphere and varying levels of gravitation. The equation is simplified and strategies for solving it are discussed.
steenreem
Hi I'm a third year physics student currently working on my bachelorstage, and I have a differential equation I want to solve, but can't =).

Given an planet with an atmosphere so thick relative to the planet radius, that gravitation in the atmosphere cannot be seen as a constant but decreases with the distance from the planet. I'd say the differential equation for the atmosphere density of a perfect gas would be:

[tex]
$
Gravitation(r) * \rho * dA = Pressure(r)*d\theta*r - (Pressure + dPressure)*d\theta*(r+dr)
$
[/tex]
, where dA = ((r+dr)^2-r^2)*PI
, Pressure = Constant*rho
, and Gravitation(r) = G*PlanetMass/r^2

which can be simplified to:
[tex]
$
G*PlanetMass/r^2 * \rho * (dr^2+2rdr) * PI = - C*(\rho*dr + d\rho * (r+dr))*d\theta
$
[/tex]
I guess I can just remove the dr^2 right?

Normally I'd try to solve this by bringing both variables to one side of the equation, say rho to the left and r to the right side, and then integrate. But I can't do that now because of the two messy terms on the RHS (right hand side).

Any help on this? Maybe I should just neglect some terms in order to make this more easily solvable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably if you use latex then your problem will be much clearer to everyone. :wink:

So you know the gravitation law and you want the density?

Well, if the situation is perfectly spherically symmetric, just note that the gravity at radius r from the center is:

g(r) = GM(r)/r^2

M(r) is the mass inside a spherical shell centered around the center of the planet. THis can take on various forms, but in the most complicated case, it would look something like this:

M(r) = M_core + M_atmosphere(r)
where
M_atmosphere(r) is the integral from r_0 to r of 4PIr^2 density(r) dr

Put all of this together, and you should be able to solve: given gravity => find density; given density => find gravity.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the rate of change of a dependent variable and the variables that affect it.

2. Why is it difficult to solve a differential equation for atmosphere density?

Solving a differential equation for atmosphere density can be difficult because it involves multiple variables and complex relationships. The atmosphere is a dynamic system, affected by numerous factors such as temperature, pressure, and composition, making it challenging to accurately model and predict.

3. What methods are used to solve differential equations for atmosphere density?

There are several methods used to solve differential equations for atmosphere density, including analytical, numerical, and graphical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution through algebraic manipulations. Numerical methods use computers to approximate solutions, while graphical methods involve plotting data to visualize the relationship between variables.

4. How is the differential equation for atmosphere density derived?

The differential equation for atmosphere density is derived from the laws of physics, including the ideal gas law, the continuity equation, and the equation of state. These laws describe the behavior of gases and how they interact with each other in the atmosphere. By combining these equations, we can create a differential equation that represents the change in density over time.

5. What are the practical applications of solving differential equations for atmosphere density?

Solving differential equations for atmosphere density is crucial in understanding and predicting weather patterns, climate change, and the behavior of air pollution. It also has practical applications in aviation, where accurate measurements of atmosphere density are necessary for safe flight operations.