Cantilever beam bending moment and shear force

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to write a program for a class but needing the formulas for bending moment and shear force. They have the displacement and angle of a cantilever beam under a point load and are seeking help before the deadline for their assignment. The relevant equations and a resource for the formulas are provided.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

im trying to write a program for a class but first i need the formulas for the bending moment and shear force. i have the displacement and angle of the cantilever beam under a point load:

Y = -[(WX^2)/(6EI)][3a – x] for 0<x<a
Y = -[(Wa^2)/(6EI)][3x – a] for a<x<L

Theta = Wa^2/(2EI)

Homework Equations

y = displacement
E = young's modulus
I = moment of inertia
L = length of beam
w = uniform load (weight per unit length)

The Attempt at a Solution

please help, i have to write 3 programs due tomorow and can't get started without these formulas :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at only one end and carries a load at the other end. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects, such as bridges and buildings.

2. What is bending moment in a cantilever beam?

Bending moment is the measure of the force that causes a beam to bend. In a cantilever beam, it is the moment at the fixed end of the beam due to the load applied at the free end.

3. How is shear force calculated in a cantilever beam?

Shear force in a cantilever beam is the internal force that acts parallel to the cross-section of the beam. It can be calculated by summing up the vertical forces acting on the beam at a given point.

4. What factors affect the bending moment and shear force in a cantilever beam?

The bending moment and shear force in a cantilever beam are affected by the magnitude and distribution of the load, the length and shape of the beam, and the material properties of the beam.

5. How do we analyze a cantilever beam for bending moment and shear force?

To analyze a cantilever beam for bending moment and shear force, we use the principles of statics and apply equations such as the moment equation and the shear force equation. These equations can be used to determine the values of bending moment and shear force at any point along the beam.