Cantilever Framework Practice Exam Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice question for exams regarding calculating the length of individual beams and height of a framework. The person is unsure of how to approach the question without an initial length and wonders if there is a secret method. They are advised to do a free body diagram and consider the reaction forces, which will make the calculation easier. The person thanks for the help and realizes they were missing this step.
BenC1994
1430676784993-1828161305.jpg
Little bit stuck with this practice question for my exams, how do they suppose I work out the length of the individual beams or height of the framework without an initial length? Is there a secret way I've never heard of? Any help would be appreciated, it's foundation degree level but probably easier than other issues faced in the engineering sector..

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't need them. Just do a FBD and you will see.

I started it for you. The blue lines are the reaction forces in the beams and the red lines are the components of the reaction force of the slanted beam. Sum of Fy = 0, sum of Fx = 0 ...

FBD.jpg

Likes BenC1994
jack action said:
You don't need them. Just do a FBD and you will see.

I started it for you. The blue lines are the reaction forces in the beams and the red lines are the components of the reaction force of the slanted beam. Sum of Fy = 0, sum of Fx = 0 ...

View attachment 83026
Ah thanks for that, much appreciated! Knew I was missing something.

1. What is a cantilever framework?

A cantilever framework is a type of structural system where a horizontal beam or slab is supported on only one end, with the other end projecting out into space. The support is often a vertical wall or column.

2. What is the purpose of a cantilever framework?

The purpose of a cantilever framework is to provide support for a structure's weight and any load placed on it, while allowing for an open and unobstructed space beneath the structure. This makes it a popular choice for balconies, bridges, and roofs.

3. How is a cantilever framework designed?

A cantilever framework is designed by considering factors such as the type of load it will support, the materials used, and the length and thickness of the cantilever. Engineers use specialized software and calculations to determine the appropriate dimensions and reinforcements needed for a safe and stable cantilever structure.

4. What are the advantages of using a cantilever framework?

One of the main advantages of a cantilever framework is its ability to create an open and spacious design. It also eliminates the need for additional supports, making it a cost-effective choice. Cantilever structures can also be designed to withstand a high amount of load, making them useful for large-scale projects.

5. What are the potential challenges or limitations of a cantilever framework?

While cantilever structures have many benefits, they also come with some challenges. The design and construction process can be complex and require specialized knowledge. Additionally, the unsupported end of the cantilever can be vulnerable to bending or sagging if not properly designed. It is important to work with experienced engineers and contractors when constructing a cantilever framework to ensure its safety and stability.