Does Separating the Plates of a Capacitor Affect Its Charge?

In summary, the voltage is constant, the area is a variable, and the capacitance decreases as the distance between the plates gets closer.
needhelpplease

Homework Statement

The plates of a parallel-plate capacitor are maintained with constant voltage by a battery as they are pulled apart. During this process, the amount of charge must... (decrease , increase , remains the same)

Homework Equations

C=Q/V
C=E0(Area/Distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer but i don't know how to do it.
Basically if area is increased , capacitance increases because they are directly proportional. if capacitance increases then charge increases also because they are directly proportional.

The answer is decrease by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
needhelpplease said:

Homework Equations

C=Q/V
C=E0(Area/Distance)
You have four parameters describing the capacitor. In the scenario of the problem, which stay constant and which can vary?

Voltage is constant. while capacitance , area , charge are variables

DrClaude said:
You have four parameters describing the capacitor. In the scenario of the problem, which stay constant and which can vary?

needhelpplease said:
What about distance? And please explain what you think the area is.

DrClaude said:
What about distance? And please explain what you think the area is.
Right , distance is the main variable because it changes. Area , hmm I looked at the main equation so i assumed its a variable

needhelpplease said:
Area , hmm I looked at the main equation so i assumed its a variable
But do you understand what it represents in an actual plate capacitor?

DrClaude said:
But do you understand what it represents in an actual plate capacitor?
Yeah , it's the surface area of the plate. Now can we get on with the question please , i have like 50 more to solve. (im not being rude I am just in a hurry) Studying for finals!

needhelpplease said:
Now can we get on with the question please
You should have all you need to figure out the answer now.

DrClaude said:
You should have all you need to figure out the answer now.
OH CRAP. I messed up. Area has nothing to do with it. Distance is increased , Capacitance is decreased so charge is increased. Thank man! Really appreciate it

You got it!

Edit: thanks to @gneill for reading more carefully than me.

Last edited:
needhelpplease said:
Capacitance is decreased so charge is increased
I think you meant that charge is decreased, right?

Likes DrClaude
If the plates of the capacitor were 25 m apart you wouldn't expect it to be a good capacitor. But as you approached the plates it would get better. Why? Because the work the battery would have to do separating the charges is decreased by their being less separated until with a good capacitor they are little separated at all but are close to each other, a short distance facing through the dielectric.

So you should think physically not just formulaicially (although maybe you do as you said you knew the answer). You'd do well to do it more thoroughly than I have, calculate some forces with typical charges, numbers and molar amounts of electrons etc.

epenguin said:
If the plates of the capacitor were 25 m apart you wouldn't expect it to be a good capacitor. But as you approached the plates it would get better. Why? Because the work the battery would have to do separating the charges is decreased by their being less separated until with a good capacitor they are little separated at all but are close to each other, a short distance facing through the dielectric.

So you should think physically not just formulaicially (although maybe you do as you said you knew the answer). You'd do well to do it more thoroughly than I have, calculate some forces with typical charges, numbers and molar amounts of electrons etc.
Hmm the answer is decrease , I'm sorry i was typing too fast and i messed up. I got it , thank you! srry for not replying quickly but I only check this place if i got troubles I am not a regular visitor

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of a capacitor's ability to store electrical charge. It is represented by the letter C and is measured in farads (F). It is also known as the ratio of the change in an electric charge in a system to the corresponding change in its electric potential.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that is used to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is made of two conductors separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. The conductors are typically made of metal plates or foils, while the dielectric can be made of materials like ceramic, plastic, or paper.

What are the types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Ceramic capacitors are small, inexpensive, and have a high capacitance value. Electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance value than ceramic capacitors, but they are polarized and have a shorter lifespan. Film capacitors have good stability and are used in high-frequency circuits. Variable capacitors have a variable capacitance that can be adjusted by rotating the plates or changing the distance between them.

How are capacitors used in circuits?

Capacitors are used in circuits for various purposes, such as filtering, energy storage, and timing. They can be used to smooth out fluctuations in a power supply, block certain frequencies, or store energy to release it later. Capacitors are also used in timing circuits, such as oscillators and timers, to control the rate at which a circuit charges and discharges.

What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by several factors, including the distance between the conductors, the surface area of the conductors, and the type of dielectric used. Increasing the distance between the conductors or decreasing the surface area will decrease the capacitance, while using a dielectric with a higher permittivity will increase the capacitance. The material and thickness of the conductors also play a role in determining the capacitance of a capacitor.