How Can Capacitance Be Halved in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor?

In summary, the capacitance of a charged parallel-plate capacitor can be halved by either doubling the plate separation or halving the plate area.
Heat

Homework Statement

Consider a charged parallel-plate capacitor. How can its capacitance be halved?
Check all that apply.

Double the charge.
Double the plate area.
*Double the plate separation.
*Halve the charge.
*Halve the plate area.
Halve the plate separation

Homework Equations

C = Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know for sure that the capacitance can be reduced if the area decreases and separation increases. The part I am unsure is if the capacitance is decreased if the charge is decreased, although I am leaning more towards it does, since there will be less charge spread around the area of the plate. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The part I am unsure is if the capacitance is decreased if the charge is decreased

The relevant equation you posted answers this

So capacitance is directly proportional to charge.

FAQ: How Can Capacitance Be Halved in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor?

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is determined by the geometry and materials of the system.

2. How are charges related to capacitance?

Charges are directly related to capacitance, as capacitance is a measure of the amount of charge a system can store. The higher the capacitance, the more charge the system can hold.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance?

Voltage is inversely related to capacitance. This means that as capacitance increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation Q = CV, where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage.

4. How does capacitance affect the energy stored in a system?

The energy stored in a system is directly proportional to capacitance. This means that as capacitance increases, so does the energy stored. The equation for energy stored in a system is E = 1/2 CV^2, where E is energy, C is capacitance, and V is voltage.

5. How can capacitance be increased or decreased?

Capacitance can be increased by increasing the surface area of the conductors or by decreasing the distance between them. It can also be decreased by using materials with a lower dielectric constant. Additionally, placing a dielectric material between the conductors can increase capacitance by reducing the electric field between them.

Back