1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance of coaxial cable

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prob. 85
    Pretty much looking for a general equation for capacitance of a coaxial cable per meter length.

given:
    -a diagram (click link)
    -two radii
    -dielectric material
    -outer conductor is grounded (V = 0V)
    2. Relevant equations
    C = Q/V
    C=A/d[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0

3. The attempt at a solution
    used the second equation but won't work since its for a parallel plate capacitor.

thats it! I'm lost on this one

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    I think the best way to approach this problem is with Gauss's law. You need to set an arbitrary charge (it will vanish in the end.). Use a cylinder as your Gaussian surface. Hope this helps

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Still stuck. Here's what I did with Gauss' Law in mind. (btw, the answer is (2pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex])/ln(R2/R1) and thats not pi to the epsilon not power btw.)

So, with Gauss, you have integral of E dot dA which equals Q/[tex]\epsilon[/tex].

Capacitance - Q=VC...so subsitute that back into the gauss equation so you have....

EA = VC/epsilon [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] C= EA[epsilon]/V

Electric potential is the negative rate of change of a electric field...ie E = -dV/ds = -V/r where r = R2 - R1

C=-rA[epsilon]=-2pi(r)3[epsilon]

and yea....nothing. I see I need to integrate something, but idk where or what logic to use for it.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

To get V you must integrate the expression for E with respect to dr. You can't just use E = -V/r which is true only for the simplest 1D case.

6. Dec 8, 2008 #5
    Right, try adding the integral of E dot dl or dr (whatever you guys call it.) into your arsenal.

7. Oct 19, 2010 #6
    the expression you want to integrate is dV = -[Q/(2Pi*R)] with limits from R1 to R2 (inner to outter). This is obtained through gauss's law, saying that EA = Qin/Episilon, solving for E and substituting for the original integral of dV = -[E dot ds]. The area "A" is 2*Pi*r because after the length is taken into acount, it will account for the surface area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?