Capacitance Problem: Getting Charge on Each Capacitor

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation discusses the connection of two capacitors, one charged at 2.0\mu F with 300V and the other charged at 6.0\mu F with 150V. After being disconnected from the batteries, they are connected to each other. The net charge between their plates is calculated as 3.0*10^{-4}C, but the charge on each capacitor is still unknown. The method of getting the charge is debated, with one person suggesting a series connection and the other suggesting a parallel connection. It is clarified that the polarity of the plates does not determine the type of connection, and it is ultimately decided to treat it as a parallel connection.
Lancelot59
I'm given that a [tex]2.0\mu F[/tex] capacitor is charged with 300V and [tex]6.0\mu F[/tex] capacitor is charged at 150V. They are then disconnected from the batteries and connected to each other.

I correctly got the net charge between their plates as [tex]3.0*10^{-4}C[/tex], however I can't get the charge on each capacitor. I tried getting the equivelent series capacitance, dividing by the net charge to get the voltage, and then using that voltage to get the charge. It didn't work. How can I go about getting the charge on each capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should state *how* they are connected to each other. Positive plate to positive plate? Positive to negative? Simply in series with one lead each free? Details matter.

Now, presumably since you state that the net charge after connection is 3.0 x 10-4 C, they've been connected in parallel, negative plate to positive. What's the net capacitance for two capacitors connected in parallel? Given the charge as you've stated, what's the voltage on the net capacitance?

Actually it's negative to positive, would that not be treated as a series circuit?

Did you not read the rest of my reply?

I did. It just sounds to me like positive to negative would be a series connection, not parallel. Why do you treat it as parallel?

Last edited:
The polarity of the plates has nothing to do with determining series or parallel. What matters is whether or not both leads of both capacitors are connected to each other with nothing else in between.

Drawing that on paper still comes out as series to me. Eh, Ill just take your word for it.

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to this problem?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. In this problem, we are trying to determine the amount of charge that can be stored on each capacitor.

2. How do you calculate the total capacitance in a circuit?

To calculate the total capacitance in a circuit, you need to add the individual capacitance values of each capacitor. If the capacitors are connected in series, the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each capacitor's capacitance. If the capacitors are connected in parallel, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitance values.

3. What is the equation for calculating the charge on a capacitor?

The equation for calculating the charge on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

4. How do you determine the voltage across each capacitor in the circuit?

To determine the voltage across each capacitor, you can use the equation V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the capacitor and C is the capacitance. This equation can be applied to each individual capacitor in the circuit.

5. What are some common ways to solve capacitance problems?

Some common ways to solve capacitance problems include using the equations for calculating total capacitance and charge on a capacitor, using Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit, and applying the concept of equivalent capacitance. It is also helpful to draw a circuit diagram and label all the given values.