Capacitance of Connected Spheres: Finding dq1/dt

In summary: Which leads you to (3) below(3) Q1 = Qr1/(2r2)Then you can differentiate (3) to find Q1′and then (4) Q = Q1 + Q2(4) ⇒ Q′ = Q1′ + Q2′Then you can substitute the relevant values for Q, Q1′ and Q2′And you end up with (5) Q′ = Q1′ + Q - Q1Now by subsituting (3) in (4) you end up with (6) Q2 = Q(1 - r1/(2r2))Hence by differentiating (6) with respect to time
phyvamp

Homework Statement

1)
Two solid conducting spheres have radius r1 = 3 cm and r2 = 42 cm. The two spheres are connected by a thin conducting wire. Assume:

- the wire is very long and thin, with negligible surface area, so it does not affect the capacitance of the system.

- the switch is closed.

- the spheres are very far apart, so they do not affect each other's charge distribution.

If charge Q is placed on sphere 1, it distributes between the two spheres. Find the capacitance of this system, in pF.

2)
Two solid conducting spheres have radius r1 = 6.98 cm and r2 = 30.9 cm. The two spheres are connected by a thin conducting wire, with the initially switch closed. Assume the wire is very long and thin, and the same assumptions apply. Charge 7.11 μC is placed on spheres, and distributes between the two spheres.

Now the radius of sphere 2 begins to decrease at the rate of:

dr2/dt = -2.54 cm/s.

Find dq1/dt the rate at which the charge on sphere 1 is changing, in μC/s. The sign indicates if the charge is increasing or decreasing.

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since the switch is closed, the charge remains the same on sphere1 and sphere2?
C1 = Q/V = Q/(Q/4*pi*E0*r1) = 4*pi*E0*r1
C2 = Q/V = Q/(Q/4*pi*E0*r2) = 4*pi*E0*r2
then since it is in series Ctotal=1/(1/C1+1/C2)
Am I on the right approach?

2)Can anyone list steps that I can follow to solve it. I am really suck with integral rate

thank you for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
phyvamp said:

Homework Statement

1)
Two solid conducting spheres have radius r1 = 3 cm and r2 = 42 cm. The two spheres are connected by a thin conducting wire. Assume:

- the wire is very long and thin, with negligible surface area, so it does not affect the capacitance of the system.

- the switch is closed.

- the spheres are very far apart, so they do not affect each other's charge distribution.

If charge Q is placed on sphere 1, it distributes between the two spheres. Find the capacitance of this system, in pF.

2)
Two solid conducting spheres have radius r1 = 6.98 cm and r2 = 30.9 cm. The two spheres are connected by a thin conducting wire, with the initially switch closed. Assume the wire is very long and thin, and the same assumptions apply. Charge 7.11 μC is placed on spheres, and distributes between the two spheres.

Now the radius of sphere 2 begins to decrease at the rate of:

dr2/dt = -2.54 cm/s.

Find dq1/dt the rate at which the charge on sphere 1 is changing, in μC/s. The sign indicates if the charge is increasing or decreasing.

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since the switch is closed, the charge remains the same on sphere1 and sphere2?
C1 = Q/V = Q/(Q/4*pi*E0*r1) = 4*pi*E0*r1
C2 = Q/V = Q/(Q/4*pi*E0*r2) = 4*pi*E0*r2
then since it is in series Ctotal=1/(1/C1+1/C2)
Am I on the right approach?

2)Can anyone list steps that I can follow to solve it. I am really suck with integral rate

thank you for the help

Where is the switch?
Why do you think that the capacitors are connected in series? If you take the spheres as capacitors where is their other terminals connected? Is any battery present?

ehild said:
Where is the switch?
Why do you think that the capacitors are connected in series? If you take the spheres as capacitors where is their other terminals connected? Is any battery present?
the switch is between spheres, no battery present. So I see I was wrong.
what I confuse is it states "the spheres are very far apart, so they do not affect each other's charge distribution."
but charge only place on sphere1, so there is no charge on sphere2. I only need to figure out V1 for sphere1 then use Q/V1?
ps: I upload the diagram for problems, two problems use the same diagram.

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 458
phyvamp said:
the switch is between spheres, no battery present. So I see I was wrong.
what I confuse is it states "the spheres are very far apart, so they do not affect each other's charge distribution."
but charge only place on sphere1, so there is no charge on sphere2. I only need to figure out V1 for sphere1 then use Q/V1?
'They don not influence each other's charge distribution" means that the charge distribution becomes homogeneous on both spheres when equilibrium is reached. Otherwise, when two charged spheres are close together, the opposite charges attract, like charges repel each other, so the charge distribution becomes inhomogeneous.

chargespheres.JPG

Charge is placed on sphere 1 initially, but it will distribute on both spheres as they are connected through a wire. What determines how much charge goes over to sphere 2 and remains on sphere 1?

Likes phyvamp
ehild said:
'They don not influence each other's charge distribution" means that the charge distribution becomes homogeneous on both spheres when equilibrium is reached. Otherwise, when two charged spheres are close together, the opposite charges attract, like charges repel each other, so the charge distribution becomes inhomogeneous.

View attachment 89110

Charge is placed on sphere 1 initially, but it will distribute on both spheres as they are connected through a wire. What determines how much charge goes over to sphere 2 and remains on sphere 1?
thank you for your explanation. is it electric potential? electric potential on sphere 1 must be equal to electric potential on sphere 2?

phyvamp said:
thank you for your explanation. is it electric potential? electric potential on sphere 1 must be equal to electric potential on sphere 2?
Yes, exactly!

ehild said:
Yes, exactly!
thank you!

I'm working on the same problems and for the second one this is my solution attempt (Not sure that is right though):

Because V1 = V2 = V you can work out Q1 in terms of r2 which is the variable you are looking for.

→ kQ1/r1 = kQ2/r2 (1)

Then since Q = Q1 + Q2Q2 = Q - Q1 (2)

⇒ substituting (2) in (1) and playing with your algebra a little bit, you get Q1 = Q/(r2/r1+1) the equation we are looking for.

The variable here is r2

by taking d/dt you will get something like this: [Qr1/((r2 + r1)2]dr2/dt

from here is just a matter of plugging in the known quantities and also don't forget the result has to be in μC/s so review your unit transformations up to here. Hopefully this works! :nb)

oh

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is defined as the ratio of the electric charge stored in the system to the potential difference across the system.

2. How is capacitance calculated for connected spheres?

The capacitance of connected spheres can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0ab/(a+b), where a and b are the radii of the spheres and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of finding dq1/dt in capacitance of connected spheres?

dq1/dt represents the rate of change of charge on one of the connected spheres, and it indicates how quickly the charge is being transferred between the two spheres. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of the system and predicting potential issues.

4. How does the distance between the spheres affect the capacitance?

The capacitance of connected spheres is inversely proportional to the distance between the spheres. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance results in a weaker electric field and therefore a lower ability to store charge.

5. Can the capacitance of connected spheres be changed?

Yes, the capacitance of connected spheres can be changed by altering the distance between the spheres, changing the size of the spheres, or by introducing a dielectric material between the spheres. These changes can affect the electric field and therefore the ability to store charge.