Capacitive Keyboard: Calculating Effective Capacitance and Charge Transfer

In summary, when the key is not depressed, the effective capacitance is 0.4 mm. When the key is depressed, the capacitance is 3.6 mm. The electric force on the top plate is 0.4 V/C.
burns12

Homework Statement

On one capacitative keyboard, each key has a capacitor bottom plate 7[mm]×7[mm] with a 0.4[mm] thick sheet of mica (κ≈7) on top of it; the capacitor top plate is the same size, glued to the key bottom, usually 4[mm] from the bottom plate ; the bottom plate is 5[V] higher potential than the top .
a) what is the effective capacitance when the key is fully depressed, so there is no air gap?
b) . . . how much charge is on the bottom plate when the key is depressed?
c) what's the effective capacitance when the key is not depressed? {careful-mica is still there}
d) . . . does charge enter or leave the bottom plate while the key moves downward? How much, for the full motion?
e) what is the Energy change during the key depression? so, what is the average Electric Force on the top plate?

Homework Equations

C= A/d κ/4pi k
Q=VC

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I'm understanding how this thing works, because on part a, if the key is pressed so that there is no air gap, that means there is no distance between the 2 plates? So that would mean the capacitance would be zero? But then that makes the next answer zero as well and I don't fell like that is right. So I think I'm having a problem understanding what's going on in this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
burns12 said:
I don't think I'm understanding how this thing works, because on part a, if the key is pressed so that there is no air gap, that means there is no distance between the 2 plates?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

There's still the dielectric mica separating the plates (0.4 mm).

When the key isn't depressed, the plates are separated by 4 mm. In that 4 mm gap, there's a mica sheet 0.4 mm thick. The remaining 3.6 mm is filled with air. When the key is depressed, the top plate moves down until only the mica sheet is sandwiched between the two places.

Ahhh ok, that's what I was missing. Now I feel dumb haha

Thanks though. I'll see if I can scramble my way through it now.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor charge?

A capacitor charges when a voltage is applied across its two plates. This causes electrons to accumulate on one plate and leave the other plate with a deficit of electrons, creating an electric field between the plates.

3. How is the amount of charge on a capacitor calculated?

The amount of charge on a capacitor is calculated by multiplying the capacitance (measured in Farads) by the voltage applied to the capacitor. Q = CV, where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage.

4. What happens when a capacitor reaches its maximum charge?

When a capacitor reaches its maximum charge, it can no longer store any more electrical energy. Any additional voltage applied will cause the capacitor to break down and discharge the stored energy.

5. How is a capacitor discharged?

A capacitor can be discharged by connecting its two plates together, allowing the stored charge to flow from one plate to the other until the capacitor is fully discharged. This can also happen naturally over time due to leakage currents.