Capacitive Start Motor: What Happens After Starting?

• Thread starter paul11273
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, a capacitive start motor uses a capacitor to provide current to a lower impedance winding and create a two-phase voltage for starting the motor. Once the motor is rotating, a centrifugal switch opens and removes the capacitor and low impedance winding from the circuit.
paul11273
Someone was talking about a capacitive start motor today, and this caught my interest.
From what I understand, it basically uses a capacitor in order to help get it started. This is used in situations where a large torque is required to get it going.
Here is my question. Once it's started, what happens to the capacitor? Does it stay connected? Is it disconnected via a relay after a certain time period, etc...?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi paul11273:
Someone was talking about a capacitive start motor today, and this caught my interest.
From what I understand, it basically uses a capacitor in order to help get it started. This is used in situations where a large torque is required to get it going.
Here is my question. Once it's started, what happens to the capacitor? Does it stay connected? Is it disconnected via a relay after a certain time period, etc...?
The capacitor is used to phase shift the voltage and provide current to a lower impedance winding. This provides two phase voltage at a higher current to start the motor. The motor is a basic inductance run motor but can not provide the phase shift required at start up. The motor must be rotating to shift the phase.

After the start a centrifugal switch that opens when the motor reaches the desired speed switches the capacitor and the low impedance winding out of the circuit.

Great. Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't find that info on the web.

FAQ: Capacitive Start Motor: What Happens After Starting?

What is a capacitive start motor?

A capacitive start motor is a type of single-phase induction motor that is used to provide high starting torque and low starting current. It is commonly used in appliances such as air conditioners, refrigerators, and washing machines.

How does a capacitive start motor work?

After starting, the capacitor in the motor creates a phase shift between the start and run windings, causing a rotating magnetic field. This creates a starting torque that helps the motor reach its operating speed. Once the motor reaches its operating speed, the capacitor is disconnected from the circuit.

What happens to the capacitor after starting?

After starting, the capacitor is disconnected from the circuit and remains idle. It does not play any role in the motor's operation and only serves to provide the necessary starting torque.

What are the advantages of using a capacitive start motor?

Capacitive start motors have a higher starting torque and lower starting current compared to other types of single-phase motors. This makes them suitable for heavy starting loads and reduces the risk of overloading the motor.

Are there any limitations to using a capacitive start motor?

One limitation of a capacitive start motor is that it cannot be reversed. This means that the direction of rotation cannot be changed, and a separate motor would be needed for a different direction of rotation. Additionally, the starting torque decreases as the motor reaches its operating speed, which may not be suitable for certain applications.