1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitive Start Motor

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    Someone was talking about a capacitive start motor today, and this caught my interest.
    From what I understand, it basically uses a capacitor in order to help get it started. This is used in situations where a large torque is required to get it going.
    Here is my question. Once it's started, what happens to the capacitor? Does it stay connected? Is it disconnected via a relay after a certain time period, etc...?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2
    Hi paul11273:
    The capacitor is used to phase shift the voltage and provide current to a lower impedance winding. This provides two phase voltage at a higher current to start the motor. The motor is a basic inductance run motor but can not provide the phase shift required at start up. The motor must be rotating to shift the phase.

After the start a centrifugal switch that opens when the motor reaches the desired speed switches the capacitor and the low impedance winding out of the circuit.

4. Oct 2, 2004 #3
    Great. Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't find that info on the web.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?