Can a Capacitor Be Used for Both Charging and Discharging in a Solar Circuit?

In summary, the question is asking if you can power a robot using capacitors in parallel and series, and the answer is no. You need a DC to DC converter to do this.
coolmanhalo
can we connect a capacitor in a way that we can charge and discharge a capacitor in the same circuit but the charging is done in series and discharging is done in parallel??
please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

Can you write out the homework question exactly as it was written? Also, what are your thoughts towards attempting a solution?

well i actually have to make a project and i am making a solar powered robot.
so the problem is that if i charge a capacitor in series it will get max charge and when it is connected in parallel it will give max output so i am trying to find a circuit which can do that i think it will probably be a complex design using a few transistors

I don't understand ... what is the capacitor going to be in series or parallel with?

Or do you mean there would be more than one capacitor, and all the capacitors are in series or parallel with each other?

It would be easier to use rechargeable batteries instead of capacitors, I would think.

the capacitor is connected to 2 solar panels each of 4volts and i think i will use to capacitors the capacitors are meant to act as batteries. now the problem i am having is that i can charge the capacitor in parallel so that they get more charge stored in them but i also need to use the charge stored in the capacitor in the circuit without actually touching the robot.
i can't use external batteries so i need a circuit which can charge the capacitors in parallel and discharge in series .

the capacitors are in series/ parallel with each other.
thank u

I think you are just describing a DC to DC converter. You can get some really cheap DC to DC converters from digi-key.

coolmanhalo, what are the voltage and current requirements of the robot? Why can't you use a battery?

i can't use a battery cause i am using a solar panels and the robot is suppose to work on just the energy from the solar panels.
and i don't know the exact voltage or current requirement yet but it should be enough to drive 2 motors at a reasonable speed or maybe 1 motor with gears the motor is going to be a stepper motor with a gearbox(probably)

i can't get to that point until i actually figure out the problem to powering up the bot.
and hey fleem i'll check out the website u said man thx.:smile:

What is a capacitor and how does it work in a solar circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical charge. In a solar circuit, a capacitor is connected in parallel to the solar panel to store the excess electrical energy produced by the panel. When the solar panel is not producing enough energy, the capacitor releases the stored energy to ensure a steady flow of electricity.

What is the purpose of a capacitor in a solar circuit?

The main purpose of a capacitor in a solar circuit is to regulate the flow of electrical energy. It helps to store the excess energy produced by the solar panel and release it when needed, ensuring a steady and stable flow of electricity.

What are the different types of capacitors used in solar circuits?

There are several types of capacitors that can be used in a solar circuit, including electrolytic capacitors, ceramic capacitors, and film capacitors. The type of capacitor used depends on the specific application and the required capacitance and voltage ratings.

How do you choose the right capacitor for a solar circuit?

When choosing a capacitor for a solar circuit, it is important to consider the voltage and capacitance ratings, as well as the type of capacitor that is best suited for the specific application. It is also important to choose a capacitor from a reliable manufacturer to ensure its quality and performance.

Can a capacitor in a solar circuit be replaced with a battery?

No, a capacitor and a battery serve different purposes in a solar circuit. A capacitor is used to store and release electrical energy, while a battery is used to store and provide electrical energy. Replacing a capacitor with a battery in a solar circuit would not provide the same results and could potentially damage the circuit.