1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor in solar circuit

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1
    can we connect a capacitor in a way that we can charge and discharge a capacitor in the same circuit but the charging is done in series and discharging is done in parallel??
    please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

Can you write out the homework question exactly as it was written? Also, what are your thoughts towards attempting a solution?

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    well i actually have to make a project and i am making a solar powered robot.
    so the problem is that if i charge a capacitor in series it will get max charge and when it is connected in parallel it will give max output so i am trying to find a circuit which can do that i think it will probably be a complex design using a few transistors

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand ... what is the capacitor going to be in series or parallel with?

Or do you mean there would be more than one capacitor, and all the capacitors are in series or parallel with each other?

It would be easier to use rechargeable batteries instead of capacitors, I would think.

6. Aug 6, 2009 #5
    the capacitor is connected to 2 solar panels each of 4volts and i think i will use to capacitors the capacitors are meant to act as batteries. now the problem i am having is that i can charge the capacitor in parallel so that they get more charge stored in them but i also need to use the charge stored in the capacitor in the circuit without actually touching the robot.
    i cant use external batteries so i need a circuit which can charge the capacitors in parallel and discharge in series .

the capacitors are in series/ parallel with each other.
    thank u

7. Aug 6, 2009 #6
    I think you are just describing a DC to DC converter. You can get some really cheap DC to DC converters from digi-key.

8. Aug 7, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

coolmanhalo, what are the voltage and current requirements of the robot? Why can't you use a battery?

9. Aug 8, 2009 #8
    i cant use a battery cause i am using a solar panels and the robot is suppose to work on just the energy from the solar panels.
    and i don't know the exact voltage or current requirement yet but it should be enough to drive 2 motors at a reasonable speed or maybe 1 motor with gears the motor is gonna be a stepper motor with a gearbox(probably)

i cant get to that point untill i actually figure out the problem to powering up the bot.
    and hey fleem i'll check out the website u said man thx.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook