Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor question( what do prioritize to maximize current in a RC circuit)

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    my last post may have seemed a little too long or complicated apparently, so I'll try to simplify and adjust my questions this time.

THE SITUATION: I want to build a circuit comprised of capacitors and a small resistor of 1 Ohm.I link all my capacitors in parallel and I temporarily replace my resistor with a high-voltage battery to charge them up. Then I place back the resistor at the battery's place. The capacitors will discharge in the resistance.

GOAL: I want to have the highest possible current flowing through the circuit during the discharge.

How do I maximize the I in function of time , playing around with the capacity of my capacitors and the voltage at which I charge them.
    Can someone give me the equation of the average current during the discharge of the capacitors up till t= RC , considering the discharge starts at t=0.

FOR t(init) = 0 and t(fin) = RC

Is it INTG( I ) / RC = ? or is it Q(t) ' = (Qmax e^(-t/RC))' = CV / (e^1)

So should we prioritize the capacity or the voltage tolerance of a capacitor, if we want the highest current, considering the energy of a capacitor system is E= 1/2CV^2 ?
    E= 1/2CV^2 vs Q = CV

/-//-/

Also, I’ve heard something about back EMF or CEMF. Apparently this has to do with fluctuation of current passing in a wire, induced current force in other words. From wikipedia:
    << The counter-electromotive force (abbreviated counter emf, or CEMF ) [1] is the voltage, or electromotive force, that pushes against the current which induces it. [...] Back electromotive force is a voltage that occurs in electric motors [...].>>

So technically, since we’re not building a motor, we shouldn’t need to worry, right? Could someone explain to us, what EMF is exactly, if it concerns us that is.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

mheslep

Gold Member

Then make R=0, or short circuit the capacitors which may cause a small explosion, especially if you really have a 'high voltage' battery. If you must have R =1, then the current will be at its maximum the moment the resistor is inserted (t=0) at close to I=V(battery)/R(=1) amps, and decay exponentially at rate dependent on the value of C after that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook